Jotul cast iron failure after two years?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanpilot

Dec 4, 2015
TN
Hello All,
I gleaned valuable information from this site when I researched and purchased my Jotul Black Bear two years ago, but this is the first post looking for specific information. Have you heard of cast iron failing in only two years? I bought my stove new and installed it myself and will be submitting a warranty claim this weekend. The stove was never dropped, damaged, or over fired. I have a probe thermometer in the stove pipe and a magnetic one on the stove itself and I've been very conscientious about operating it within limits. The part(s) that appear to have failed are the cast iron roof of the main burn chamber (I'll attempt to attach a photo). This plate has cracked and subsequently bent the cross member of the secondary burn tubes. Additionally, there are retention hinges that appear to hold the cracked plate in place and one of those seems to be incorrectly installed at the factory, everything is sort of misaligned. Anyway, have y'all ever heard of cast iron failing like this?
plate.jpg
left hinge.jpg
right hinge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. Jotul introduced a fix for the rack in 2012. This is the first report I recall on a newer stove. Keep us posted on the response.

A Jotul failing in 2 years? Say it ain't so.

Status
Not open for further replies.