jotul castine capabilities

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinetop

Mar 2, 2006
am patienly awaiting the installation of a castine to heat an area of 1150 sq. ft. well insulated 200sq. ft. of double pane glass 18ft. cathederal ceiling two ceiling fans 340 sq. loft in back half...northern minnesota (saddened today with mr. Puckett's premature death) plus 20's to neg.20's for temps...am i better off upgrading to an oslo...this stove will be used daily but maybe not 24/7

Sounds like it should be ok to me, if you want to have longer burn times then i would go with the oslo. IT depends on how you want to use the stove. The bigger the stove the less you have to maintain the fire. The olso would be overkill but thats a word i dont realy know when it comes to woodstoves.

salesperson felt the castine would do the trick but the person doing the pre installation planted that seed of apprehension.. i've heated two other homes with wood but both were outfitted with whole house wood furnaces.

There are lots of factors to consider when buying a wood stove. Its not always as cut and dry as heating capicity. You can put the same amount of wood in a olso as you can a castine. If they both have the same pounds of wood in them then they heat they same. The difference is you can't put as much wood in a castine as a Oslo. Your always tied into that smaller box. Now, if you dont plan on usuing 24/7 and dont care about burn times, or if you do plan on usuing it 24/7 but dont mind tending the fire a little more.. then get the castine. I think BOTH stoves will heat the space fine. Its nice to have the larger box, side load, and front opening to get those odd pieces of wood in... The othere thing you have to consider is scale and space. Does the Oslo fit where you want it to fit? Is the scale of the unit to big for the room? And of course the olso is a little more expensive. Good luck
Ryan

Yah, I think the Castine should be fine but you never know until it's installed :) If the space is well insulated - as you say it is - then you should be fine with the Castine. I heat my entire house with the Jotul F3 - 1800 sq feet, 2 floors with only one fan to push the air around. I'd have to think you'd be fine with the Castine. I was actually thinking of upgrading to the Castine for my house so I don't have to fuss with the wood all the time. Smaller stove, smaller pieces, more work.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

pinetop said:
am patienly awaiting the installation of a castine to heat an area of 1150 sq. ft. well insulated 200sq. ft. of double pane glass 18ft. cathederal ceiling two ceiling fans 340 sq. loft in back half...northern minnesota (saddened today with mr. Puckett's premature death) plus 20's to neg.20's for temps...am i better off upgrading to an oslo...this stove will be used daily but maybe not 24/7

In Minn. I would go for the Oslo, unless the stove is to be used as a chill chaser at night in which case the Castine should be fine. But if you will occassionally need it to prevent freezing during an extended power outage, then go for the larger stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.