Jotul Castine Door won't latch - need picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azs

Oct 2, 2012
stoveinside.jpg latch.jpg

I've had my Jotul Castine for about a year. I live in Maine and only heat with wood, so I use it all the time. Today I went to latch the door and something is not working. I am attaching pictures of the latch and the spot where the latch connects, in hopes that another Castine owner can compare the images with their stove and tell me what has happened to mine. The latch looks fine. The part where the latch connects does not look right to me. Thanks so much!!

That doesn't look right, there's no latch receiver. Can someone with a Castine post a good picture of the latch receiver on the stove body?

azs, get a magnet and sift through the ashes for the piece that appears to be missing.

Thanks! So far that looks the same which means the latch handle needs to be examined to make sure it's not slipping.

The pins in the door haven't raised up any? I know some stoves have pins that can start to come up over time . . . I forget if the Castine is prone to this or not.

I assume you've also checked around the gasket and stove for any gunk that could cause the door to "bulge" out any . . .

Finally, can the door latch be adjusted like the Oslo? On the Oslo I had to adjust the latch in the first couple of weeks of ownership to get a snug fit.

Not having a Castine though . . . these are all just random, proverbial shots in the dark. The good news is that the temps aren't crazy cold right now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.