Jotul Castine Operating Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylutz

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
Northern NJ
Hi all,

I just purchased a Jotul Castine and lit the break-in fires followed by 1 or 2 regular fires.

However, the stove seems to hover below 400 degrees F, and I'm wondering what I need to do to get it up to the upper end of the operating range (600F). This is my first wood burning stove, so I'm somewhat new to this.

I purchased 2 cords of assorted hardwood that is seasoned.

How bad is it to open the ash pan to help juice up the fire for short periods?

Thanks,
Tom

It depends on the wood and the size of the splits. With softwood I ran about 400-550. With compressed logs and occasional hardwood loads I would see 600-650.

It's not ok to juice the fire by opening the ash pan. Leave the front door open a little when starting a fire instead. And definitely don't open the ashpan door when the stove is hot and full of coals. Doing so with a fresh load of wood, then closing off the air can set you up for an explosive puffback if the fire goes out and then fills with wood gas fumes and smoke. (Don't ask how I know.)

Mine is one step above (the 500), but cruising temp is about 450. It will get well above the 600, but I was scared when it was around 900 on the stove. Started thinking how I was going to get logs out. THey are good stoves and will work once you get the hang of them after a few mistakes. Build some when the temps get lower and I'm sure you will be OK.
Chad

Mine cruises along at 600 degrees with a mixture of junk cord wood and the air control 20 percent open. I would not open the ash pan door to "revive the fire" since the fire can get out of control really quick. If I do that I my stove it looks like a blast furnace inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.