jotul cat stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDuncanson

Oct 28, 2008
Coastal CT
I've posted questions before and appreciated the ensuing discussions. I am looking at a used Jotul 12 Firelight. It's a catalytic with a blower. In your books, is this a stove appropriate for the first time burner? I've read lots about the cracking back plates and how it takes a long time to light. I'm assuming those users might have draft issues? Anyhow, I've verified that it will fit, the unit was purchased in the late 90's. I have a tile lined masonry center chimney (23' high) which I'd just as soon put a liner in to be safe. I plan on burning 3 to 4 months. I assume the back plates keep breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.