jotul classic 3 - gas control knob problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nellinam

Oct 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have a used Jotul Classic 3 vent-free gas stove. I think these models are now known as a GF 3 Allagash. The man I purchased it from didn't know if the stove worked (it was stored in his garage and not hooked up). I haven't connected it to a gas line yet because I'm concerned that the gas control knob, near the ignition button, doesn't work properly. The manual for the GF 3 BV Allagash shows a drawing for the control valve that does not look exactly like Classic 3 that I have. Mine has a single knob with a variable adjustment that indicates "on" for the pilot and then "high" through "low" settings. When I turn the knob, it does not seem to rotate. When I press in and rotate, it moves a little more freely, but still not through all of the settings. Has anyone had this problem? do you think the stove is safe to operate?

That is the Euro SIT valve and what you descibe is normal. Never force the knob there a small plastic piece inside that will break. One thing to note is that is a hydraulic thermostat , so it will shut down when temp is satisfied

We tried hooking it up to the natural gas line today. No gas would flow through. Looks like we'll have to replace the valve. Thank you for your comments!

Took it to a local shop that sells fireplaces, stoves, etc. They had their service tech inspect it. The tech said the SIT valve spring was busted and the valve will need to be replaced. If we have the SIT replaced, he suggested replacing the ODS pilot too. Total cost $500 (SIT valve, ODS pilot, + labor). Most of the cost is in the valve which he said is more difficult to find now because Majestic went out of business. Does this seem reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.