1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

jotul classic 3 - gas control knob problem

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by nellinam, Oct 18, 2013.

1. nellinam

nellinam New Member

Loc:
    Chicago, IL
    I have a used Jotul Classic 3 vent-free gas stove. I think these models are now known as a GF 3 Allagash. The man I purchased it from didn't know if the stove worked (it was stored in his garage and not hooked up). I haven't connected it to a gas line yet because I'm concerned that the gas control knob, near the ignition button, doesn't work properly. The manual for the GF 3 BV Allagash shows a drawing for the control valve that does not look exactly like Classic 3 that I have. Mine has a single knob with a variable adjustment that indicates "on" for the pilot and then "high" through "low" settings. When I turn the knob, it does not seem to rotate. When I press in and rotate, it moves a little more freely, but still not through all of the settings. Has anyone had this problem? do you think the stove is safe to operate?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    if its LPG, hook it up to a mini tank and test it out before installing in home/
  3. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    That is the Euro SIT valve and what you descibe is normal. Never force the knob there a small plastic piece inside that will break. One thing to note is that is a hydraulic thermostat , so it will shut down when temp is satisfied
  4. nellinam

nellinam New Member

Loc:
    Chicago, IL
    We tried hooking it up to the natural gas line today. No gas would flow through. Looks like we'll have to replace the valve. Thank you for your comments!
  5. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    valves are a rare failure item, i'd keep snooping!
  6. nellinam

nellinam New Member

Loc:
    Chicago, IL
    Took it to a local shop that sells fireplaces, stoves, etc. They had their service tech inspect it. The tech said the SIT valve spring was busted and the valve will need to be replaced. If we have the SIT replaced, he suggested replacing the ODS pilot too. Total cost $500 (SIT valve, ODS pilot, + labor). Most of the cost is in the valve which he said is more difficult to find now because Majestic went out of business. Does this seem reasonable?