Jotul Color Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a F400 Jotul in Blue/Black (picture of it in my avatar). To me it appears black/gray. In sunlight it has a slight bluish tint. This stove is definitely not Blue/Black. I'm guessing its majolica blue.

Not blue black and that stove does not sell for $2400 in the store.

Not blue black and that stove does not sell for $2400 in the store.

I have the prices from my dealer. The Oslo doesn't even sell for $2400 new.
Maybe he meant stove, liner + install?

Anyway, its way too blue for me. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't blue/black in bright sunlight.
The one at the dealer is poorly lit and looks black.

I like the blue/black, my wife wants the plain cast iron, thinks it looks more "authentic" that way and fits in better with the old house vibe.

The blue/black is a very durable finish and cleans very easily. It always looks new with a lite wipe down. The flat black always looks kinda dusty after a year or two and is a little too rough to easily wipe down. Your wife will appreciate the fact it can be cleaned easily! It's well worth the extra money.

I have the blue majolica on my F600 firelight and it is a much
deeper/darker blue then on that jotul.
virginia beach 347.JPG virginia beach 348.JPG

I have the prices from my dealer. The Oslo doesn't even sell for $2400 new.
Maybe he meant stove, liner + install?

Anyway, its way too blue for me. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't blue/black in bright sunlight.
The one at the dealer is poorly lit and looks black.

I like the blue/black, my wife wants the plain cast iron, thinks it looks more "authentic" that way and fits in better with the old house vibe.

Blue-black enamel is my favorite too. Here is the 3CB in BB enamel, one shot with flash and one shot without. Note how it changes the look.
3CB_2web.jpg 3CB-web.jpg

Tell your wife that the blue-black enamel will keep looking great year after year, all it needs is an occasional dusting. It also increases the resale value. I sold both of my bb-enameled Jotuls very quickly.

Thanks, everyone.

I'll have her read this thread.

Anyone else with anything nice to say about the blue/black finish is welcome to keep posting and pile on the evidence that blue/black is the way to go!

++ for the blue/black!

I've got a vintage barrel stove as decoration only in another room which has the old style 'stove polish' on it. That stinker is a dust magnet (and lint magnet from my dust cloth) versus my blue/black Oslo just needs a light dusting every so often and it looks great.

Reactions: webby3650
I've had 2 blue black Jotuls, and various flat black stoves. I don't care to have another flat black stove in the house. In the garage, but not in the house. I love the clean new look of an enamel stove!

That blue-black is goooood-looking.

I didn't think it mattered much to me, but after looking at those pics I admittedly have a little enamel envy.

Another former Oslo Blue Black owner here- that's the only enamel color for me, I like the Brown Majolica too, but can be chipped easier than Blue Black. I sell these stoves for a living, Blue Black costs less than the other enamels and outsells the other enamels easily.

Here's a 20 year old Jotul in Blue/Black enamel, installed in our 1773 summer kitchen fireplace. I can't imagine how bad the plain flat black would look after this amount of time, sitting in that damp fireplace with the doors closed all summer. That blue/black enamel seems damn near indestructible, and looks far better than the flat black, according to this old house nut.

P4040040.JPG P4110005.JPG PC180013.JPG

Here's another 17'ish year old Jotul painted in StoveBrite Metallic Black, in our other fireplace (also 1773 to 1779), both with and without camera flash.

P1130006.JPG P1130003.JPG

Both work for us, cosmetically (because they're Jotul), but the blue-black definitely looks better in person.

You guys sold it for me.

Those are some classic looking, beautiful stoves.

My house is only 1800's years old, I think I have 1700's house/fireplace envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.