Jotul combifire #4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I bought a 1500 sq foot open concept house in the seacost of NH which came with a Jotul combifire #4 in the center of the house nicely set up. Its my first woodstove experience, and has become the main heat source for the house. It's able to keep us as warm as we want, and we have the good fortune of a huge woodlot with all the wood we need in a reasonable mix of soft and hardwoods. Aside from having used this for a couple of years, and having had a licensed sweep clean and inspect everything, I don't know anything more about the stove. For example, what were its design principles, attributes etc. Anyone have any info?

It's a good stove and although not a current EPA one, it is a sound design and unlikely to be a creosote problem. Parts are available from either a Jotul dealers or more likely Woodsmans Associates, who you can find a link to at https://www.hearth.com/partsplace.html

Not sure if they have manuals, but sooner or later I will get ahold of one and post it on the wiki. The stove is simple enough - sort of what I call a base burner where the entire bottom is full of coals. The wood can even be stacked tepee style in these to get additional height.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the manual

BOHICA53 said:
I HAVE A CPOY OF THE MANUAL ....EMAIL YOUR ADDRESS

Hey, see that Craig (Our alustrious Master) gets a copy so he can post it on the site. Would help others in the future. :coolsmile:

BOHICA53 said:

Hey, see that Craig (Our illustrious Master) gets a copy so he can post it on the site. Would help others in the future. :coolsmile:

BTW, welcome to the forums. You are likely to learn more than you ever wanted to know about burning, until you start to slide down the slippery slope. Don't let any of us stop you from asking that question.

UncleRich said:
BOHICA53 said:

Hey, see that Craig (Our illustrious Master) gets a copy so he can post it on the site. Would help others in the future. :coolsmile:

BTW, welcome to the forums. You are likely to learn more than you ever wanted to know about burning, until you start to slide down the slippery slope. Don't let any of us stop you from asking that question.

Another Jotul user trying to penetrate the mysteries of the Combifire #4. Did a manual ever surface? I'd give my left beechnut for a copy...

Caoimhin said:
UncleRich said:
BOHICA53 said:

Another Jotul user trying to penetrate the mysteries of the Combifire #4. Did a manual ever surface? I'd give my left beechnut for a copy...
I never did get a copy but it's a pretty simple stove so it didn't really matter. I loved that stove because it was so responsive. I could light a small fire with about 10-12 1 to 2" sticks and just take the chill off the house in a half hour on the shoulder seasons and the beast threw great heat when we need it to. You know the door slides underneath the stove for open fire viewing? It gave off so much heat running it that way that I never really got to use it like that. If I tried to shut the pipe damper down enough to slow the fire we started to get smoke spillage. If you have any more questions, PM me and I'll be happy to tell you my experiences with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.