Q&A Jotul Contemporary Stove (Alpha)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'd need user documentation for my Jotul wood stove. I want to understand how the stove collects fresh air to burn. Any maintenance are required for this stove?

Problem: Once the front door glass is completely closed, the fire will turn off in a minute... Have to leave the door open! I own the house for 6 years and the stove comes with it. I did have the chimney (escape duct) clean already but doesn't help... Never own a wood stove before but I use to have the stove's front door close before!

Answer:

The stove you have is called the Jotul Alpha, and was a failed attempt by Jotul to make a "modern look" stove for the US Market.

It is a large catalytic stove. The design requires a very strong chimney and draft to work properly, and this may be the source of your problem.

I'm sure there is some sort of a draft control on the stove which controls the combustion air. This should be easy to find, but if you have a problem you can email Jotul. It would be good for you to get a manual for the stove. Try Woodman Associates at hearth.com/partsplace.html

The Alpha uses a catalytic bypass system which makes the catalytic bypass engage whenever you close the door. This means that you must establish the fire well with the door cracked slightly open BEFORE closing the door. I hope these hints can help you get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.