Jotul dealer says I can drop rear exit down to thimble. Legit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Up_North

Oct 21, 2013
Canton, ME
So I really want to take delivery of a f400 castine. My thimble is at 25". With short legs the stove top of rear exit is about 26". The dealer says "no problem we'll put a drop 90 kit on it, we do it all the time."

It looks like an off center elongated 'S'. Can't find a picture off it on the web. The exhaust gasses will bend slightly down and to the right once installed.

For the record it is going into a non-shared central stone insulated steel lined chimney that goes straight up right about 30 feet.

Do I cancel the check in the morning (wrote it late this afternoon) or will I be ok? They are planning to install it in about a week.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of my current setup. The 6" connector from the exit to the thimble is dead level even though it doesn't look it in the picture.

Jotul dealer says I can drop rear exit down to thimble. Legit?

Last edited:
It's not done all the time around here. it's certainly not best practice. With a strong draft it might be okay. Bit it certainly isn't a good thing.

Hopefully someone will have some experience in practice with this.. could be fine with a good lined chimney and 30 feet.

Tried calling Jotul USA a few minutes ago but they sent me right to voice mail when they transferred me to the Maine rep.

I'm basically about to cancel my check and restart with square one, which is something I feared I would have to do.

if its an inch off why not trim the legs an inch or possibly not use the legs at all and set the stove on the 4 points on something nice?

Reactions: Oldhippie
if its an inch off why not trim the legs an inch or possibly not use the legs at all and set the stove on the 4 points on something nice?

I didn't know that was a possibility (cutting the legs).
Was *hoping* that the F45 Greenville short legs would fit on the Castine since the former offers a greater drop when placed on the latter and it would end up being exactly 25" to the top of the flue.
I'm really starting to question my local dealer.

I am not saying that this would be recommended from say Jotul or dealer. They generally say "no modifications" and this is all encompassing! But for me, in my home, this is not a show stopper!

Then again with a 30' chimney once you get the draft rolling, you make suck the stove through the pipe as it can be very strong draft.

So I would not panic..there are alot of installers here who have seen most everything and are here for a reason.

It cutting is what needs to be done, I would keep calling Jotul to ask about cutting if they say yes, measure twice and cut once.

Status
Not open for further replies.