Jotul dripping paint when hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I've got a new Jotul F55 and have burned it a few times. Last night I had a fire going and when I woke up this morning I saw what was a splatter mark underneath the stove near the side. It smelled like soot, but when I looked on the bottom of the stove, I don't see any residual marks where it leaked from. Not sure what to think. I only had the stove maxed out at 450F.

Attachments

• CAM00271.jpg
    CAM00271.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 410
  • CAM00272.jpg
    CAM00272.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: CASEMAN2011
moisture buildup? soot yes?? I just can't see that being paint. Stove paint is quick drying, just doesn't make much sense.

Actually, I had a kettle pot of water on the stove last night and left the lid on it open. There was a lot of moisture coming out, but there's no way that it dissipated in the air and fell to the ground in that formation. I agree, not paint, but soot. We've had a couple heavy rain storms in the last month and it's been that long since I lit the stove. Is it possible water come down the metalbestos chimney and collected in the stove bottom?

I've got a new Jotul F55 and have burned it a few times. Last night I had a fire going and when I woke up this morning I saw what was a splatter mark underneath the stove near the side. It smelled like soot, but when I looked on the bottom of the stove, I don't see any residual marks where it leaked from. Not sure what to think. I only had the stove maxed out at 450F.

Just had the same thing happen with my new Jotul f45 GREENVILLE!!! 2 hot fires and that was the end of the dripping. Must be a coating they use on
the welded steel inner box??

Relax all, it is your firebrick drying out and dripping out of the stove. When shipped the bricks often get wet. This will stop after a few hot fires.

Caseman2011, how do you like your Greenville? I have a 28 x 32 first floor, open plan with a small upstairs, total around 1400 sq', very tight new home. Currently have a Hearthstone Manchester that is just too hot for our space. Could you give me some details of how yours is working, along with your house size, insulation, etc.? Thanks.

Reactions: CASEMAN2011
Caseman2011, how do you like your Greenville? I have a 28 x 32 first floor, open plan with a small upstairs, total around 1400 sq', very tight new home. Currently have a Hearthstone Manchester that is just too hot for our space. Could you give me some details of how yours is working, along with your house size, insulation, etc.? Thanks.

Hi Oldbarn70, Looks like I have a house very similar to yours. A cape built in 1946 and I added a 20' x 25' family room off the back 20 years ago.
I was running a Jotul F3 cb and it did a good job heating except for the coldest nights of the year, but only got about a 4 hour burn!!
That is why I went to the F45 Greenville. Have been running it 24-7 with no problems. Been getting 10-11 hour burns out of it!!!
The thing will through good heat wide open and I have a lot of control with the single primary air lever. Good secondary's with the air
shut down and still putting out good heat. Seems I am only using about 1/3 rd the wood that the F3 used. The house is insulated pretty good
with Anderson windows. LOVE IT!!!!

Thanks so much. Someone is coming to buy our Manchester Saturday, and I am ordering the Greenville today. Sounds like it fits our needs, plus I love the simple look. Also getting the outside air kit, due to our tight envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.