1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul efficiency and warranty

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jzinckgra, Jul 16, 2013.

1. jzinckgra

jzinckgra Member

Loc:
    Raymond, Maine
    I scored an excellent craiglist deal on a brand new (still on the crate F55 Carrabasett stove. $1600. In the brochure, it states the overall stove efficiency is 84% while the little notecard inside the stove claims 64%. I assume overall efficiency is different than whatever the other efficiency is reporting or is it a mistake?

Also, we're having a stove shop install the stove and were told there would be no warranty on the stove since we did not purchase it from them. Can the jotul be registered directly with jotul and still have warranty coverage? Incidentally, I never knew Jotuls were assembled right here in Maine. The factory is only 20 min away from where we live.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I suspect the warranty is only to the original purchaser. The term you want to search on is "transferrable". Check both Jotul's warranty statement and local / Maine law for transferrability of warranty.

There are multiple ways of checking efficiency, and it truly varies with the fuel, air settings, chimney construction, and with what part of the burn cycle you are observing. The 64% number (actually, usually 63%) is assigned by the EPA to all EPA-compliant non-catalytic stoves, as the minimum requirement for a given set of conditions. The 84% number is likely something tested by Jotul, under a specific (but likely different) set of documented conditions.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a great deal. If new and unused, I would think that the stove is warranty qualified, regardless of where it was bought. Was the craigslist sale from a dealer or private purchase?

Is the stove shop a Jotul dealer? In the least, the installer should warrant his installation. If he doesn't want to send the paperwork to Jotul, then do it yourself. Take pics of the stove still in the crate in case "new" becomes a question.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I had a warranty issue after my Jotul dealer went out of business. They didn't want anything to do with it. I finally was able to buy parts through a dealer that used to be a member here.
  5. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
  6. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    That doesn't boost my confidence in them. You actually had to buy the parts instead of a warranty claim? Not good. They should have done something to give you a full service call.

Makes me re-think mine as well as future purchases.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    No different from anybody else. All warranty though the dealer. This dealer had gone belly up.
  8. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi jz, the hybrid jotuls (cast over steel shells) are assembled in Maine. Not sure where the castings are actually cast. The efficiency tag inside your stove- 64% was assigned by the EPA I believe, for non-cats and 67% was for catalytics. The mfr normally puts up their lab testings as well. The bottom line- with good dry seasoned wood, all phase II EPA cat and non cat will burn cleanly, more efficiently than their non secondary burning predecessors. As for warranty, much has been said already, I'm not really sure, I do know you got one heck of a good price, congrats. Get that dry wood ready. Good luck.
  9. jzinckgra

jzinckgra Member

Loc:
    Raymond, Maine
    This was a private sale from a local guy who says he bought it direct from Jotul. Apparently he "knows" somebody at Jotul that allowed him to buy direct. I will look into the transferability. Yes, the stove installer is a jotul dealer so I will push him on the warranty. thanks.
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If not I wouldn't sweat it. The F55 is a pretty simple stove. Many folks never have a warranty issue.
    webby3650 likes this.
  11. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    In the brochure, Jotul lists the Castine at 84% efficient, but the Oslo at only 75%.

Is the Oslo really less efficient? Why would that be?
  12. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi lumbering, don't really think there's noticeable diff in heating efficiencies that we as users would detect. Maybe lab setup and equipment could, but not us. Good dry seasoned wood is the key, always and always.
    webby3650 and Joful like this.