Jotul efficiency and warranty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I scored an excellent craiglist deal on a brand new (still on the crate F55 Carrabasett stove. $1600. In the brochure, it states the overall stove efficiency is 84% while the little notecard inside the stove claims 64%. I assume overall efficiency is different than whatever the other efficiency is reporting or is it a mistake?

Also, we're having a stove shop install the stove and were told there would be no warranty on the stove since we did not purchase it from them. Can the jotul be registered directly with jotul and still have warranty coverage? Incidentally, I never knew Jotuls were assembled right here in Maine. The factory is only 20 min away from where we live.

I suspect the warranty is only to the original purchaser. The term you want to search on is "transferrable". Check both Jotul's warranty statement and local / Maine law for transferrability of warranty.

There are multiple ways of checking efficiency, and it truly varies with the fuel, air settings, chimney construction, and with what part of the burn cycle you are observing. The 64% number (actually, usually 63%) is assigned by the EPA to all EPA-compliant non-catalytic stoves, as the minimum requirement for a given set of conditions. The 84% number is likely something tested by Jotul, under a specific (but likely different) set of documented conditions.

That's a great deal. If new and unused, I would think that the stove is warranty qualified, regardless of where it was bought. Was the craigslist sale from a dealer or private purchase?

Is the stove shop a Jotul dealer? In the least, the installer should warrant his installation. If he doesn't want to send the paperwork to Jotul, then do it yourself. Take pics of the stove still in the crate in case "new" becomes a question.

I had a warranty issue after my Jotul dealer went out of business. They didn't want anything to do with it. I finally was able to buy parts through a dealer that used to be a member here.

I had a warranty issue after my Jotul dealer went out of business. They didn't want anything to do with it. I finally was able to buy parts through a dealer that used to be a member here.

That doesn't boost my confidence in them. You actually had to buy the parts instead of a warranty claim? Not good. They should have done something to give you a full service call.

Makes me re-think mine as well as future purchases.

No different from anybody else. All warranty though the dealer. This dealer had gone belly up.

Hi jz, the hybrid jotuls (cast over steel shells) are assembled in Maine. Not sure where the castings are actually cast. The efficiency tag inside your stove- 64% was assigned by the EPA I believe, for non-cats and 67% was for catalytics. The mfr normally puts up their lab testings as well. The bottom line- with good dry seasoned wood, all phase II EPA cat and non cat will burn cleanly, more efficiently than their non secondary burning predecessors. As for warranty, much has been said already, I'm not really sure, I do know you got one heck of a good price, congrats. Get that dry wood ready. Good luck.

That's a great deal. If new and unused, I would think that the stove is warranty qualified, regardless of where it was bought. Was the craigslist sale from a dealer or private purchase?

Is the stove shop a Jotul dealer? In the least, the installer should warrant his installation. If he doesn't want to send the paperwork to Jotul, then do it yourself. Take pics of the stove still in the crate in case "new" becomes a question.
This was a private sale from a local guy who says he bought it direct from Jotul. Apparently he "knows" somebody at Jotul that allowed him to buy direct. I will look into the transferability. Yes, the stove installer is a jotul dealer so I will push him on the warranty. thanks.

If not I wouldn't sweat it. The F55 is a pretty simple stove. Many folks never have a warranty issue.

Reactions: webby3650
In the brochure, Jotul lists the Castine at 84% efficient, but the Oslo at only 75%.

Is the Oslo really less efficient? Why would that be?

Hi lumbering, don't really think there's noticeable diff in heating efficiencies that we as users would detect. Maybe lab setup and equipment could, but not us. Good dry seasoned wood is the key, always and always.

Status
Not open for further replies.