Jotul F 100 recessed in a fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpc08

Nov 7, 2008
Eastern, MA
In lieu of an insert, has anyone recessed a small wood in an existing fireplace? My fireplace has an opening of 32”high x 40” wide (28” wide at the back) x 20”deep (tapers to 17” at top). I have a 16 hearth flush with a wood floor. I was wondering if I could recess a small wood stove such as a Jotul F 100 (21”w x 13 ¼” deep x 22 ½” high) in the fireplace. If so, how effective would it heat a 12’X14’ room? The flue is 8X8 clay. Will I need to extend a pipe to the top of the fireplace?

I figure it will cost me about $4k for an insert and $1600 for the wood stove.

i didnt want to recess, wanted full air circulation....i want to heat the air, not the rocks....especially since w/a cat combuster, most of the heat is from the back.
my stove sits outside the fireplace, the back of stove being in line with fireplace entrance. i redid my hearth myself.
you could move it out on the hearth, and then put a hearth pad for a 150.00 in front.(where your hearth stops)

i use my intrepid II in the main room, 12x15 with a cath ceiling, it heats my whole 1100 sq ft house.

yes you would want use a flexflue liner in the flue/block off plate/cap. ect.
self installed, 2100. when I was all done (stove included)

lots to learn read and search through.

edit,,, heres mine
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11483/

mpc08 said:
In lieu of an insert, has anyone recessed a small wood in an existing fireplace? My fireplace has an opening of 32”high x 40” wide (28” wide at the back) x 20”deep (tapers to 17” at top). I have a 16 hearth flush with a wood floor. I was wondering if I could recess a small wood stove such as a Jotul F 100 (21”w x 13 ¼” deep x 22 ½” high) in the fireplace. If so, how effective would it heat a 12’X14’ room? The flue is 8X8 clay. Will I need to extend a pipe to the top of the fireplace?

I figure it will cost me about $4k for an insert and $1600 for the wood stove.

that's the same setup I'm planning to install (already have the jotul 100), except my fireplace is only 13" deep. i'm thinking of possibly putting and angled block of plate at the top of the fireplace to reflect the heat into the room, and also use fans to circulate the heat to other rooms.

if you're only trying to hea that 1 room, you'd probably be fine putting it in back and not even bothering with the extras I was doing. I'm running 6" pipe all the way up though, because I have no flue inside my chimney (1800's house)

If you're only trying to heat a small room, it won't matter much, unless it has an exterior chimney.
As far as heating bricks, I have no problem with my stove being almost halfway into the hearth - I let my stove heat the bricks, and after the fire goes out, they heat me. They also help heat my upstairs.
Heat is only "lost" if it goes up the chimney or is stored in masonry that transfers it to the great outdoors (exterior chimney, foundation walls, etc.). The masonry of an interior fireplace will store some of the heat that is normally all transferred rapidly to the room air, so the room will be slower to warm up, but also slower to cool down.

Status
Not open for further replies.