Jotul F 118 CB Black Bear among other things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side liners are kaowool-backed cast iron, like the F602. Probably 3/4" or so thick. Bottom liner is also cast iron with kaowool backing, dimpled to stand it off from the bottom, 2" or so thick. My 7x7 was exaggerated. It's probably more like 9x8.

Dolly, you have posted in a thread that has nothing to do with your stove. You should start a new thread with your question.

Someone just mentioned about bricks & their size. They said "I havent seen one of these new stoves".So I took that they were talkin about stoves,doesnt matter what kind. I just wanted to see if anyone had any info on this.As the topic was that of stoves.!

No, this topic is the Jotul F118 stove. If you want your question seen and perhaps answered, start a new thread.

Firebox is 10" wide, 10" high sloping to 8" high, an average of 9" height. In other words 10" x 9", less the room that the side tubes take up. They're all the way at the top and sides, and about 1" diameter, so in effect they take away about 48 cubic inches.

Also, sorry if I was rude before!

Best, Jeff

Also, I don't believe there is any kaowool type insulation in the sides, and there is definitely none on the bottom.

jeffee said:
Firebox is 10" wide, 10" high sloping to 8" high, an average of 9" height. In other words 10" x 9", less the room that the side tubes take up. They're all the way at the top and sides, and about 1" diameter, so in effect they take away about 48 cubic inches.

Also, sorry if I was rude before!

Best, Jeff

:lol: I didn't think it was rude or anything. I saw it as a tease.... Something like, "I went fishing today and caught a 20 inch..." and not telling what kind of fish it was.

How do you like the stove? What are your experiences?

Matt

Jotul 118
I have a 31 year old 118 that has performed incredibly well over the years in our very cold winters. Does anyone have info on how the new 118's compare in their heating capacity, ease of lighting and ability to hold a fire all night? Will I really be able to find a new jotul that matches or exceeds my older 118? I have also looked at some of the larger, windowed Jotul models- does anyone have a comparison on these versus a 118? Thanks!

The reports coming in are that the new 118 is a decent stove, but has neither the performance nor the capacity of the original stove. The secondary rack takes up space and can be fussy.

I'd look into an Oslo (F500) to match and perhaps exceed the old 118's performance. It's a great design with many happy owners.

reganp said:
Jotul 118
I have a 31 year old 118 that has performed incredibly well over the years in our very cold winters. Does anyone have info on how the new 118's compare in their heating capacity, ease of lighting and ability to hold a fire all night? Will I really be able to find a new jotul that matches or exceeds my older 118? I have also looked at some of the larger, windowed Jotul models- does anyone have a comparison on these versus a 118? Thanks!
I had the older Jotul 118 and sold it when I sold my last house. I loved that stove.
When I bought my new house, Jotul had just come out with the new 118 Black Bear, so I bought it, and I think it is marginally better, why;
It is far stronger and heavier construction.
It has clean burning secondary air.
It will hold embers well into the middle of the next day, that is the reason we never had to re-light our 118 between October to April.
If there is a criticism then I think it is not the easiest to light, not as easy as the 602.

The fire box is large, if you sit 2 logs side by side the stove burns exceptionally well, and dont let the door size tell you that you cant get 2 large logs in, you can.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Status
Not open for further replies.