Jotul F 400 Castine bottom heat shield pics installed on a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
Can someone get me a Jotul F 400 Castine bottom heat shield pics installed?
No one has one of these in stock. I was thinking of fabricating a temporary one.

Thank you!

Last edited:
FWIW, I seem to recall at some point reading in the manual that "no other heat shield can be used".
Contact [email protected] and see if they can help you locate one.

It's odd that your stove doesn't have one. I thought all those sold in the US did.

From the double door manual bold mine.
From the parts diagram it looks like a piece that boots the the back and fold under the the bottom of the ash pan with sides that fold up off the bottom maybe??

“Bottom Heat Shield (# 154384)
The bottom heat shield supplied with your stove has been specifically designed for the Jøtul F 400 Castine. It is required in all alcove installations. Use of the bottom heat shield does not affect the floor protection requirements described on page 6 of this manual.
No other type of heat shield may be used on the bottom of the Jøtul F 400 Castine.”

evan

From the double door manual bold mine.
From the parts diagram it looks like a piece that boots the the back and fold under the the bottom of the ash pan with sides that fold up off the bottom maybe??

“Bottom Heat Shield (# 154384)
The bottom heat shield supplied with your stove has been specifically designed for the Jøtul F 400 Castine. It is required in all alcove installations. Use of the bottom heat shield does not affect the floor protection requirements described on page 6 of this manual.
No other type of heat shield may be used on the bottom of the Jøtul F 400 Castine.”

evan
Thanks, my manual is newer. Can you post a couple of shots of your stove's bottom heat shield for Vmaxer?

Here is what the current US/CA manual reads:

The Jøtul F 400 requires one of the following three forms of hearth protection:

1. Any UL, ULC, or WH listed hearth board. (No bottom heat shield required).

2. Any noncombustible material that has a minimum R-value of 2.0. (No bottom heat shield required.)

3. Any non-combustible material with the use of the stove’s bottom heat shield.

Mine doesn’t have one.
Thanks, my manual is newer. Can you post a couple of shots of your stove's bottom heat shield for Vmaxer?

Here is what the current US/CA manual reads:

The Jøtul F 400 requires one of the following three forms of hearth protection:

1. Any UL, ULC, or WH listed hearth board. (No bottom heat shield required).

2. Any noncombustible material that has a minimum R-value of 2.0. (No bottom heat shield required.)

3. Any non-combustible material with the use of the stove’s bottom heat shield.

Found these.

Thanks, that's really helpful. It looks like it would be fairly straight forward to make one.

Mine doesn’t have one.
That is just strange. My impression was that all US units had them. But here we have two without them. Our stove was bought new in 2006 and it had one.

Bottom heat shield is always folded flat and ships inside stove. Most installers don't know what they are and don't bother to install them.
There are two bolts in the bottom of the ash pan housing that BHS is held on with, the shield is folded out (kinda like a 'squared out c design" and bolted on, to follow the contour of the bottom and fold upward on each side of the ash housing. Its not real important unless you want (or need) the ember rating of the hearthpad it is sitting on, then the BHS is required. Funny, had a lady come in and say our store forgot to install the ashlip on her F3CB last year. At first did not believe her until I saw a picture. I then politely smiled, then ordered her a replacement...

Reactions: begreen
I don’t think gauge is as important as some air space between the shield on the ash pan. Something that I can cut with snips. Looks like there are already spacers in mine. Guess the bolts you see are where it mounts. Jotul F 400 Castine bottom heat shield pics installed on a stove?

You are right, @EbS-P rear heat shield isn't that thick, it is about 3/8" space. You are right the air space makes shield and stuff so it directs the heat up instead down from the bottom of the stove.

24 ga would be good, though 26ga would work. I would put a nut or two between the shield and stove body as spacers.

Yeah I don't think there are spacers, the ash housing is protruding out where the shield mounts to it, kinda creating a small gap..

@EbS-P the shield you have in that pic from manual is different than the one here. it doesn't have the wrap around parts.