Jotul f 400 runing hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

renegade

Nov 26, 2013
mass.
Hello everybody, first of all I would like to thank anybody who can help me with an ongoing issue I am having with my woodstove.
Two years ago I had an issue develop,with my J 0T UL, 400.
Basically what is happening is my stove is over firing, even with the air valve in the closed position I have temperatures that sometimes run away, up to 800°.
I have replaced the door gasket, the glass gasket, the ash can door gasket, and resealed the ash can box itself.
I also applied some furnace cement between the bottom upper plates, this seemed to help a little bit but as I have a bank of Coals, I can see a spot where they burn right through and it is bright yellow, I am going to make an assumption that I am taking in air somewhere between these two plates or lower, I cannot find any videos on this, and both of my local stove shops have not given me any answers about a repair person.
Bear in mind, I am a mechanically inclined person, but I am somewhat intimidated by the thought of completely disassembling and resealing this stove. Last year a gentleman on this forum suggested that I may have a warped this separator plate, due to the fact I open the ash can door occasionally when first lighting the stove. Can anybody give me a little insight to my predicament ?
Thanks again to the people who replied to years ago and thank you to anybody who can help me now.

Remind us a bit about the flue dimensions on the stove and tell us a bit about the fuel being burned.

Our Castine occasionally got up to 800F, but more often to 700-750F. For us it was more a matter of using thicker splits. We had good draft and the stove would burn 6-8" thick splits of dry doug fir happily. Make sure that there is no ash buildup behind the ash pan. Built up ash behind the pan can stop the ash pan door from closing tightly.

For a thorough inspection, the first thing to do is clean out the stove very well. Vacuum it out and wipe down parts so that you can see the metal. Inspect the base for hairline cracks very carefully the grate. With a helper, shine a bright light at all seams to see if light can be seen on the outside of the seams. Remove the doghouse cover (2 10mm bolts) for the air control and vacuum out that area. Make sure the control is working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.