Jotul F 500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joem32543

Jul 24, 2015
Maine
I have the opportunity to purchase a Jotul F 500 Oslo for $900. According to the craigslist posting, it has been in storage and has never been fired. Obviously, it's pretty easy to determine if the stove has ever been fired if I inspect it, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for? It seems like too good of a deal. I called around, and this stove was selling for $2,303 in the Black Matte finish w/o tax.

If this stove is 5-10 years old, has anything changed about the F 500 Oslo in the past few years?

I'd be replacing a Vermont Castings Vigilant that is not properly sized for my chimney (8" flue with 6" chimney").

Great deal if truly new. Look for cracking abuse like it being dropped or something being dropped on it. Make sure all parts are there including the grate. The baffle may be different if it's 10 yrs old, but it should still work fine.

I think, like BG said, they changed from a steel baffle to a vermiculite one, but other than that, I believe they're the same, at least that's what the parts lists tell me. And the baffles are interchangeable too, can put newer style in older stove if you ever need to replace them.

Great deal, jump on it if it's legit.

x3 that's a great deal if legit. MSRP 2539 matte black new. Cast baffles to ceramic, ash pan handles, side door ash lip is now bolted on, I think that's all the running changes. Great stove.

Great deal.. My Oslo with the black/blue enamel and short leg kit was $3,000 out the door - Not delivered, and not installed. Also, the Oslo replaced my old Defiant (Vigilants "Big Brother") nicely. Dry wood is a must with the newer stoves, keep that in mind.

Reactions: stovelark
Fantastic deal if there is no damage.

Did you get the stove?

Just noticed the additional replies. Unfortunately, I did not get the stove. I went back and forth with the guy trying to find a time to look it over, and by the time we agreed on a time, he had already sold it. Oh well!... I guess I wasn't the only one who saw that it was a great deal.

Sorry you missed it. Keep your eye out and be ready to act quickly. Good deals like that go quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.