1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul F 55 Secondary Air Manifold Bent

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Splinters, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Splinters

Splinters Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last night I noticed that I wasn't getting any type of secondaries. Turns out that the top plate of the secondary air manifold warped and no longer forms a seal.

Please take a look at the picture below and let me know what you think. If you look closely you can see the gasket coming down at an angle towards the right side of the center tooth. This morning when the stove was cool the gap was much smaller. This picture was taken at about 500 so the hotter it gets the wider the gap becomes.

I bought the stove used and unfortunately the baffle and manifold are warranted for life only to the original purchaser. Any thoughts?

Stove.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Splinters

Splinters Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    That's the response I was afraid of getting. I'll see how far I get with the local dealer. Thanks anyway.
  3. jotulguy

jotulguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central Pa
    that is a pretty new model..... how long did the previous owner have it? what dealer did they purchase through?
  4. Splinters

Splinters Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    The previous owner had it for two months. He bought it from a dealer near Jim Thorpe, PA.
  5. jotulguy

jotulguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central Pa
    It wouldnt hurt to contact that dealer and see what he says.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is that little nub in the center supposed to support the center of the manifold? Do try the dealer to see if there has been a service bulletin on this issue. If you have no recourse, I would be tempted to drill and tap a screw to pull that manifold back in place.
  7. Splinters

Splinters Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    Just wanted to give a quick update. The local dealer was not much help but did recommend drilling a hole in the baffle and tightening the gap with a nut and bolt. I put two bolts through and it sealed nicely. The stove is just like new again. Thanks again for the feedback.