Jotul F-600...why no short leg kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meathead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Central Maine
Wish there was a short leg kit for this thing...I'd like to move mine upstairs into the fireplace and get a big englander for the basement, but the f-600 is about 1/2" too tall

meathead said:
Wish there was a short leg kit for this thing...I'd like to move mine upstairs into the fireplace and get a big englander for the basement, but the f-600 is about 1/2" too tall

Are you sure the F500 kit won't work?

The person I talked to at my local dealer said no...but I should probably double check.

They're not listed in the manual. It probably has something to do with
the amount of heat generated from the bottom of the stove.
I'll ask my Jotul rep next time I see him...

meathead said:

Cut the legs? Just kidding! How about recessing them into your hearth? I had to recess one leg 1" and shim another up 1/2" due to our VERY rough stone hearth.

If your hearth R-value is more than needed, I'm sure that would make up for the less of an air gap - you could do the calculations. It is a valid concern though.

New stove owner here, having the same problem with a second hand Jotul Firelight. Wanting to install in my fireplace, thought it is about 3 inches too tall. Is it a no no to remove the legs and support stove on non-combustible material such as the long side of bricks, or am I asking for trouble?

What is non-combustible? What would be under the bricks? Bricks are (relatively) good at transferring heat, so if they are on top of anything combustible...

I'm thinking it's not a great idea

I'd be golden on the hearth - solid masonry all the way down to the basement floor...I'd imagine with most open fireplaces you'd be ok, as the stove is sitting just above a surface that was designed to support an open fire.

meathead said:
I'd be golden on the hearth - solid masonry all the way down to the basement floor...I'd imagine with most open fireplaces you'd be ok, as the stove is sitting just above a surface that was designed to support an open fire.

Yep, in your case, yep, in most open fireplaces if you have the right hearth in front as well

noreaster11 said:
New stove owner here, having the same problem with a second hand Jotul Firelight. Wanting to install in my fireplace, thought it is about 3 inches too tall. Is it a no no to remove the legs and support stove on non-combustible material such as the long side of bricks, or am I asking for trouble?

One vote here for "asking for trouble"

Status
Not open for further replies.