Jotul F100 sizing and clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salparadi

Jan 22, 2014
Amherst, MA
New homeowner. I have an existing fireplace that I've been told was originally a coal-burner, thus very small dimensions. The firebox is 24h x 24w x 13d. The surround is 8". The hearth is 40w x 31d. The chimney is lined with stainless steel.

I'm considering my options for putting a wood stove on the hearth as a supplemental heating source. Small house around 1000 sqft first floor, 400 second floor. Fireplace is in the middle of the first floor right by the stairway.

I'm planning to redo the facade so I want to know how much higher/wider I'd need to go with non-combustibles in order for the clearances to be safe.

So my questions are:

- Based on the manual (pg 12), I need to raise the top surround at least 9" before combustibles to equal 17" correct? Blue tape in photo two.
- I don't have much side trim clearance (8") and the manual calls for 14". If I simply remove the trim on the sides, does that take care of it? Or do I need to increase the sides surrounds out 14" before the drywall?
- If I redo the surround and have it protrude from the drywall with no trim, does that satisfy my clearance issues?
- Can I have the back of the stove tucked up close to the firebox like this? Rear exit connection. Pretty sure I would need to increase the hearth depth if I can't...

The manual
http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/_attachment/7440?_download=true&_ts=13b910774c5

fireplace-front.jpg

Photo one is a straight on view of the fireplace when we bought the house, it hadn't been used in a long time and had some foam insulation covering the opening.

fireplace-side.jpg

Photo two is a side view with a dummy F100 in place to see how big it would be. The box depth of 17.5" includes the ash lip so I think the depth is really only 14.5-15" I have torn off the tile in preparation for redoing the facade.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Based on the manual (pg 12), I need to raise the top surround at least 9" before combustibles to equal 17" correct? Blue tape in photo two.
Yes, as long as the trim is no more 1" thick per the manual. If the trim is more than 1" thick it would need the same clearance as the mantel.

- I don't have much side trim clearance (8") and the manual calls for 14". If I simply remove the trim on the sides, does that take care of it? Or do I need to increase the sides surrounds out 14" before the drywall?
The trim needs to be moved out to 14", again if an inch or less. It needs to be noncombustible material out to 14"

- If I redo the surround and have it protrude from the drywall with no trim, does that satisfy my clearance issues?
Not necessarily. Read the first paragraph on p10... Combustable surfaces are not limited to those that can be seen but also include materials behind noncombustible materials.

- Can I have the back of the stove tucked up close to the firebox like this? Rear exit connection. Pretty sure I would need to increase the hearth depth if I can't...
I'm not sure, however, I believe you need to secure the pipe with at least 3 screws per section... It doesn't look like you have enough space to do that.

Thanks for the reply Jason, I appreciate it. Sounds like I would need to pretty much put stone or tile across the entire width of that wall (with non-combustible cement board in place of the existing drywall?), and up at least halfway. Do you mind clarifying your mention of 3 screws per section? Do you just mean where the pipes get joined?

Do you mind clarifying your mention of 3 screws per section? Do you just mean where the pipes get joined?
Yes... Bottom of page 5, I believe it's required by NFPA 211

Also, the clearance from single wall stove pipe exiting the rear of the stove will probably require a greater distance to your trim and mantel than from the top of the stove. I think its 18" for single wall, but double check that. If the top of the pipe is 1" lower than the top of the stove you would be ok as the distance from top of stove to trim is 17". (Is that clear as mud?)

Also, if you move your hearth out, make sure it has the r value required, I thought it needed an r 1.1, (I've read too many manuals lately, I can no longer keep them straight) however on p10 under alcove insulation it states an r value of 2 for floor protection. I'm not sure if the floor protection is different between a hearth install and a alcove install. Best to check with jotul on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.