Jotul F12 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickthequik13

Sep 14, 2015
Plattsburgh, NY
Any here know where I can order replaced gaskets for my Firelight 12 CB?? I think I can just but the correct size rope and cut it to length but I thought it might be better to buy the gaskets since I have the part numbers.. Or at least I think I have the correct ones hard to find much info on these stoves. I just bought mine used this weekend and installed it. I think I got it for a hell of a steal $450, with the heat shield for the rear and also the screen for the front doors, There isnt a scratch on this thing, It's mint!! Any suggestions would be helpful as to where I can get replacement parts. All it needs are the gaskets around the 2 front glass doors and the side loading door, as well as the Ashpan tool. Thanks!

Jotul.JPG

Oh, also what it the best place to have my thermometer? On my old wood stove I had it about 6 inches high on the stove pipe.. Should I get an actual stove top thermometer instead of the stove pipe?? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to its own thread for better responses

There isnt a scratch on this thing, It's mint!!

Should I get an actual stove top thermometer instead of the stove pipe?? Thanks

A lot of us like to have both stove AND pipe thermometers, but as BG says, you might want a cat probe most of all.

Is this the catalytic top-loader, with the foot pedal? The stove looks great, but "mint" would mean the guts (burn plates, the combustor and its housing, etc.) are all in good shape, too. Have you checked the cat? Woodman's sells all those parts too, if needed, but pricy. Even if it needs some internal work or rebuilding, I think $450 is a steal, too I was looking for one this summer, but none in nice shape in my neighborhood. (Was that one on craigslist in Rainbow Lake?)

Welcome to the forums.

Over the years, I have had success with ALL local Jotul dealers for replacement parts. Not included with my manual at purchase, I was able to get a parts schematic from a dealer that is most useful. I have replaced at on time or another, all gaskets (except this year is a first to replace the door glass gasket). The front doors and top lid plus the inner door for the box I replace more often than not. I have also replaced the back plate 2x, andirons 2x and am on my 3rd or 4th cat (they don't like wet or unseasoned wood). My stove is black enamel and shines like new when polished. I love the F12 and will be following this thread! The screen btw was $100 new - never used it.

A lot of us like to have both stove AND pipe thermometers, but as BG says, you might want a cat probe most of all.

Is this the catalytic top-loader, with the foot pedal? The stove looks great, but "mint" would mean the guts (burn plates, the combustor and its housing, etc.) are all in good shape, too. Have you checked the cat? Woodman's sells all those parts too, if needed, but pricy. Even if it needs some internal work or rebuilding, I think $450 is a steal, too I was looking for one this summer, but none in nice shape in my neighborhood. (Was that one on craigslist in Rainbow Lake?)

Welcome to the forums.

This is the non-cat version of the Firelight 12.. It does not have a top load, nor foot pedal, it has the right side door and 2 front glass doors only.. the burn plates, blanket and the secondary burn tubes were all replaced last year and... And yes this is the stove on craiglist in Rainbow Lake

Mine is the Jotul 12 Firelight CB, I believe mine is the hybrid model before the production of the F600. I had to do some research before I bought this since I thought they only came in Cat versions, but after some reading they did make the non-cat version as well.

IMAG0157.jpg

Hi Nick, yes you have the interim Firelight. Its the side door version with the door lock operated by the stove tool that operates the front doors too. Good buy for what you paid too. Parts are very readily available, that stove should be from about the year 2000-2002. Gaskets are nothing extraordinary, I believe it was still 1/4 for the front doors, 3/16 for the center strip, 1/4 inch for the ashdoor and side door. It has changed now to 3/8 for the doors and 1/4 for the center strip. Stoveworld has parts if you want to purchase online, Jotul.com has the older stove manuals if you need them. For the thermometer, 350-700 degrees with the thermometer on the stove top corner of your choice (Jotul's suggested spot). Hope this helps. I see your later post also. The Firelight 12 cat was produced from 1993-1999. The Firelight 12 CB (Cleanburn) debuted in Nov 1999. Running changes are the side door handles and ash door handle along with gasket changes. Your stove had the silver egg on the ash door handle, again the stove tool operated that. Good luck with it. Give the internal baseplate a going over, espec if the cast baffles on top of the air tubes have upward curls to them. If not, she's prob in great shape...

the burn plates, blanket and the secondary burn tubes were all replaced last year and... And yes this is the stove on craiglist in Rainbow Lake

All new last year? I looked at that stove a dozen times online over a week's time and thought about checking it out. Boy, you're really making me wish I had made the road trip! (Except for the fact my wife prefers the matte black to enamel, so we ended up with that style F600 locally for $700, but with no blanket and warped baffles.)

I still need to find a place to order all the replacement gaskets for both from doors and the side door. The link that you posted begreen, the website only has a parts list and availability for the Firelight 12 not the 12 CB and they are 2 completely diff stoves. the F12 has a top load and no side door, the F12 CB has no top load, but a side door, Does anyone have a suggestion on a website that might supply these?

All new last year? I looked at that stove a dozen times online over a week's time and thought about checking it out. Boy, you're really making me wish I had made the road trip! (Except for the fact my wife prefers the matte black to enamel, so we ended up with that style F600 locally for $700, but with no blanket and warped baffles.)

Yes the interior is immaculate,, I have since burned about 6 or 7 fires in it and it runs beautifully, the only issue I have is that at initial start up I do get some smoke seeping out from the front and side door gaskets, but only for about 10-15 seconds. I know I need to replace these as the gentleman I bought them from said he had never replaced them since he bought the stove in 1999.. LOL he replaced all of the expensive parts inside the stove but never the cheap easy stuff. O well less money for me to spend!!

Nick- would think most stove shops would have the gasket (3/8, 1/4, 3/16 inch) that you need. If not I'd find the nearest Jotul dealer to you and get the necessary parts/gaskets from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.