Jotul F3 CB top vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWbc Woodburner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2010
Northern BC
I am installing a secondhand F3 CB that has been set up for rear venting. Just wondering if it can be set up for top venting once the back plate has been knocked out for rear venting? Do I need to purchase a block-off plate or can the top plate be moved to cover the rear?

Manual is a little unclear to me?

I think you can get a plug for it. Is there one already in place for the top flue exit? If there is, it might be bolted in place and movable to the rear? Pop the lid and take a look. That said, rear venting will put if more forward on the hearth which should help it heat the area better.

Yeah. You take the top one out and use it and the hardware that holds it in to plug the rear vent. There is a cross piece that holds it in two slots in the top and identical slots in the rear. Piece of cake. Cast iron cake. But cake. Use furnace cement to gasket the one you plug.

Boy you two are fast! I do have one thing to add. There is a small chance the bolt will be too short. There was a small window of time where the bolt shipped didnt work for mounting the mending plate to the rear. Its an easy hard ware store fix though. Take the bolt you have to match up the size.

And look for it in the metric bolt section of the hardware store.

Good catch BB!

Thanks for the help.

BeGreen, I have decided to move the stove into the fireplace cavity. I had built the hearth pad out originally but it was taking up too much room and had some concerns about our daughter tripping and falling, so I cut it back flush with the edge of the raised hearth, although the stove won't throw as much heat we're okay with it as it is just for auxiliary heat (and aesthetics).

Will post pics once installed! Working on tiling with slate right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.