Jotul F3CB and primary air control ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
Newbie with a Jotul.....

Where should my primary air control be placed to get the most efficient burn? Once my fires get around 400 degrees, I close it half way. Does this sound OK? Closing it all the way seems to smother the fire and leave a residue on my glass.

Since each stove installation is a bit different, the setting for the air control will be a bit different as well.

For instance, installations with maximum draft will be able to close the primary air completely and still achieve good secondary burn. A lesser drafting installation may only allow closing the primary air half way or three quarters. The quality of your wood will affect your primary air setting as well.

If you find that closing the primary air below half will smother the fire, then only go to half with it. I know that with my Jotul Oslo I can usually close the primary air completely, but there are times (either due to the weather or the wood I am burning) that I have to open it just a bit to keep the secondary burn going.

I installed an F3CB for my parents in the fall and I believe that they cannot close down the primary air completely without smothering as well, so it may be typical for this stove. As long as you are attaining good secondary burn I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you can completely shut the primary air off.

Status
Not open for further replies.