Jotul F3CB - poor seal of start up air control ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Last night I had the lights off and was able to see light from flames shining past my start up air control. I had closed the lever several minutes prior so knew it was solidly shut, although sometimes it doesn't move very smoothly so I opened/shut it again and could still see the light from the flames. This is the lower control below the glass.

I've never looked too close at this. Are there any known issues with these sometimes not having a good seal when closed? I know it isn't 100% air tight but the light suggests more of an air gap there than I really care to have leaking into my stove.

Anybody ever tear into one and can suggest if perhaps mine might be loose or somehow needs to be adjusted? Feels fine, slightly stiff but always felt that way.

Do you use this control? It's somewhat crudely made. The start up air control on our F3CB was so tight and ineffective that we stopped using it. We'd just leave the door ajar instead for starting. If you do likewise consider sealing up the control with some furnace cement. Otherwise I would take it apart and see if there is a casting edge that needs to be filed flush.

I just took it apart. No obvious casting but I could see a cast support button that controlled the range of movement. I looked closely and decided it prevented the door from fully sealing the opening. I filed a smidge off and now it does better. But it still has an air gap that lets light shine thru (not as much now) due to the crude design you mentioned. It has a spring washer that looks like it is supposed to help level it and make it flush but doesn't look like it works too well. I'm sure the EPA is happy though.

yes, I do use it on occasion. I do like you with the cracked door sometimes, but will use the lever at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.