Jotul F3CB - Rear vent flue install issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireQuest

Dec 29, 2007
Central NY
Hi All,

I bought a Jotul F3CB and am trying to install. It came with the rear vent knock out already removed. My problem is that the Steel Flue collar will not fit in the hole. It seems to be about 1/8-1/4" to large. Do I need to grind off some of the cast iron. Since it is already enameled, I would be surprised if this were necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.]

Thanks

I assume you mean the collar that came with the stove, right? If so it definately should fit. I don't recall this being an issue with the other F3CB users here. Perhaps you have some excess high spots from where the rear vent was knocked out. In that case, yes, you might need to grind high spots down.

Actually it was with mine too. Had to get it started just a little and then put a piece of 2 x 4 over it and knock it in with a hammer. That was for top venting.

I had to take a coarse file and open up the hole a bit more than the raw knockout. It goes pretty quickly with a sharp half-round rasp. Try to do it evenly all the way around the hole. It helps to use the fitting to scribe a mark with an ink pen like a sharpy first so you can track your progress and not go too far. Take a little bit off and check, then a bit more, and check again. Be particularly careful if using a power grinder. It will chew through the cast pretty quickly.

Thanks to all of you for the info.

Yes, the collar that came with the stove is what I was referring to. I tried grinding off the obvious high spots and tried taping it in the collar but it is too large. Stopped at the dealer today and the collars they had were the same size (6 1/8" to 6 1/4" OD). The other thing is that my 6" stove pipe fits loosely in the collar also. I'll probably try to enlarge the hole as you recommended.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.