Jotul f400 and burning styles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
I am new to the stove business as I have indicated in previous posts, but I have started to figure out a few things. One, the Jotul seems to burn much better with the big log in the back. Two, raking the coals helps some. Three, two or three logs on a reload is the best to heat back up, and it avoids overfire. Four, it burns better at 35* or less than at about 50*. Five, next time I cut and split, I will cut some short fatties that I can load N/S in addition to E/W. That method worked well a couple of nights ago on a night time burn. Six, next year's burn season will be better than this year's because I will have a year under my belt, and it leads me to my last point. Seven, the wood is still a touch green at times. The oak has cured reasonably well, but deeper into the stack is a bit green because as the fire burns down the glass starts to fog up with the haze. It discolors at times as well. I am convinced the drying time for oak and hickory is faster here than in other parts of the country, but it is not yet perfect.

The wife is warming up to the stove and its work---pun intended. The secondary burn is pretty when you get it going.

Thanks for the help in the last month or so.

Thanks for that post, that will help me with the install soon. Good pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.