Jotul F400 Castine. Questions:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostbit

Feeling the Heat
Aug 4, 2008
Northwest Arctic Alaska
WHen I was brushing my stack during cleaning, I lifted the stack in the house. (Double -walled telescoping, I simply removed the section locking screws and pushed the lower into the upper, attached a plastic sack, and brushed from the roof capper down). When done, I looked inside the stove and vacuumed some loose residue from inside at the stove outlet.

I found a small section, 5", of what appears to be the top plate sealing gasket, hanging down at the back into the outlet area. It just appears to be displaced. My question is, would it be prudent to try and remove the top plate and re-affix the gasket, try and push/chink it back in where it is supposed to go, or not worry about it and leave it be? If the top has to come off, how do I go about it, and what do I expect to have to do? Is there a potential leak here (I have not noticed anything abnormal) I should be concerned about?

My stove is 7 months old. My dealer is 500 miles away, via an aircraft. A round-trip to him, stove only, is $400.

Secondly, in the future, I imagine I will have to do any work or repairs (rebuilds) to this stove myself due to where I am and where my dealer is. Does anyone here know if Jotul has a repair manual of sorts for an adept person to obtain to do such work?

Thanks.

the outlet on that stove is reversable, and they sent a long strip of adhesive backed gasket for it... the left over is often just curled over and left to drape inside the stove rather than being cut off... this is likely what you are seeing. Highly doubtful that it is from the stove top's seam, as there is a nice channel it fits into, and a raised ridge on the side castings that meet it, sandwiching it quite effectivly... If you really want to get a better look, unlock the side clips on the baffle and remove the baffle to get a better look at the stove top, but i would guess its just a little excess from the outlet seam, nothing to worry abou8t.

Exactly as said above - I bought some gasket to change it when I was installing my used F400 and that is how the old gasket was - with about 6 or 8 inches hanging in there. Just leave it alone...

I'm going to lift the stack and take another good look. I still think the gasket is from the top section. It is the fiber-rope type gasket I see, looks just like the material that is used on the stove door seal.

Again, does anyone know if a repair manual exists for one to work on one of these stoves?

Hey Frost, I thought everyone in Alaska used a Blaze King based on other posts. Hows that Jotul working out for you? How large of an area are you heating? What are the temps up there these days?

I'd like to make it up there someday, I hear it's beautiful...

Frostbit said:
I'm going to lift the stack and take another good look. I still think the gasket is from the top section. It is the fiber-rope type gasket I see, looks just like the material that is used on the stove door seal.

Again, does anyone know if a repair manual exists for one to work on one of these stoves?

i'll see if i can send a parts blow up.. that may help.. but the easiest way to get the top off is to either rech in thru the outlet and remove the two 10mm hex head bolts that hold down the sides of the top, OR to remove the baffle and reach up and get them thru the fire box.

Attachments

• f400 (Custom).jpg
    f400 (Custom).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 362
Status
Not open for further replies.