Jotul F400 Castine Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolbeck

Aug 25, 2008
MA
Hi Folks,
I have some gasket issues with my Jotul Castine and I would like to take it apart to replace all of the gaskets. Can you point me towards any resources on how to do this? I also am looking for a list of the gasket sizes/lengths.

Thank you!

Your Jotul dealer should have the right gaskets. They vary depending on the purpose and location. If no local dealer then try Preston Trading Post in CT. Member stovelark works there and should be able to fix you up.

Hi Ecol- you can call the store, or let me know what you need- we have the entire gaskets Castines use, Normally all that's required is the door (3/8", about 6 feet), the ashdoor (1/4", about 3 feet) or the glass gasket (1/4", about 4 feet). But we have all the amounts needed. If you want a complete list, I could probably even email you them if necessary.

Stovelark, thanks for reply. Fortunately I did find a gasket list, but it didn't include the gaskets for the secondary air baffle, which I'd like to replace. the other thing I'm concerned about is taking the stove apart and any issues that you think I may encounter while doing that.

Cheers!!!

Why take the stove apart? Is there evidence of seam leakage? What are the gasket issues?

The gasket under the top plate has come out of place and the door/window/ash pan gaskets are deteriorated.

Hi Ecol- would not suggest taking stove sides and bottom apart unless necessary to correct a leakage- the sec baffle gasket lining, top plate and door gaskets are easy to do. In fact, having the top off is a good thing when working on the sec baffle. I'm the first one to say not break the stove apart, the Jotul folks are pretty good at putting stoves together in Norway. Soon, all Jotuls will be being assembled here in the USA at Jotul in Gorham Maine for distribution, supposedly adapting all the Norwegian practices in doing them. Guess we all will see.

Stovelark, definitely won't take the bottom/sides apart, just want to replace the gaskets. What gasket size is needed for the secondary baffle?

I was trying to remember myself- believe its actually 3/4 flat gasket that the baffle sits on and is secured by two clips in the back... but will look when I get to work. Whatever the gasket is, we have it.

Good plan. Jotul uses a tough ceramic cement on their seams. I can't see taking one apart unless necessary. With new gaskets you should be good to go. Thanks for the assistance stovelark.

Hi Ecol- Just looked at a castine- the baffle is held in by two sliding clips in the back rear, gasket underneath is indeed 3/8 inch and we have that. Sorry took this long...

Is the baffle gasket self adhesive or is it held in place by stove cement or by friction?

It fits into a groove and the cast piece of the baffle sits on it. I'd still put furnace cement to hold the gasket in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.