Jotul F400 debuts in Nome Alaska

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostbit

Feeling the Heat
Aug 4, 2008
Northwest Arctic Alaska
Its been a long project, but its in and working swell. As I sit writing this, I am have the primary air down to just off closed and am admiring the secondary burn. For lack of having a supply of good seasoned wood, I am burning dry hardwood pallets at the moment. I do have some good black spruce in the wood shed, and I won't get at it until the pallet supply gets used.

I do notice a couple of things, one of which is the stove really heats the living room. Its 80 degrees in here right now, my boiler has not run for several hours, so the back rooms are about 65. I need to get a fan to move some air. Last night the wind was blowing about 30 mph, and I notice the stove does not shut down with the primary air shut off. It got to a point with the air shut off during this wind that the stove percolated happily while maintaining 500 degrees on the stove top corner Rutland thermometer. Until the large hot bed of coals slowly died (a hour or more), the temp stayed right there. So, its hard to regulate a wanted temperature when the wind is howling.

All in all, the stove is fantastic! Its been a revelation using it the past three days when I compare it to my non-cat Blaze King, circa 1988. Since home heating fuel here is $6 a gallon, and I historically use 150 gallons per month in each month of Dec/Jan/Feb, 100 gallons each in November and March, it will be very eye-opening to find out how quickly the Castine pays for itself.

Carry on, 'gents. This website is fantastic, and I am reading cool stuff everyday.

Glad things are working out for you up there. With heating fuel being that high priced, it seems that stove will pay for itself very quickly.

With the wind problem, you may have to resort to a damper in the flue, but if you can make it work without one, good. And a fan moving that air will make a huge difference.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and all on hearth.com

Status
Not open for further replies.