Jotul F45 Greenville split size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolaycbell

Nov 18, 2014
North Carolina
Howdy. The manual for this stove says it can accept splits up to 18" long. Is it ok to go a half inch to an inch bigger and have the splits propped up on the lip by the door or is that too close to the glass? The most recent load I got has some splits slightly over the 18" and I don't want to shave them down if it's not neccesarry. Thanks!

This is the reason I now get wood cut to 16". But I still have to contend with longer splits if it is scrounged wood. An occasional split that is a little too long can be propped up on the lip as long as it is still say a half inch away from the glass. You want to be careful though. A mis-judgement on length could crack the door glass if the split makes contact as the door is being closed. I often set these longer splits aside and burn them during the shoulder season. That way I can put them in the stove diagonally when I am burning just 3-5 splits at a time.

Not a huge difference but we had a fairly mild heating season last year so I may not be the best judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.