Jotul F45 needs stove pipe adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtc1930

Feb 12, 2014
plus.google.com
Hi All,

Been lurking on this site for a few months and recently pulled the trigger on a Jotul F45 as it was a perfect fit for the size of my house and tight clearances needed. I went with ICC Ultrablack double wall stove pipe and trying to determine if I need a stove pipe adapter for the connection to the stove. Has anyone with an F45 used an adapter?

One shop told me it def needed one and the other said I could just go straight into the pipe. I already have the stove and the pipe so I tried connecting directly but the top of the connector casting on the Jotul flares out quickly so I'm only able to wedge the pipe on 1/2 to 3/4". Seems like I would want more then that to ensure the inside is good and sealed.

Thanks,
Bob, NJ

Are you venting straight up or are you going up & out? Straight up, I'd say you'll probably be ok, because the screws in your connector pipe will keep it in position. Up & out you want the stove adapter section for rigidity. Your call, tho...

Its going up through a 12' cathedral ceiling but does have a slight 45 degree jog at the top in order to miss the ridge beam. I did contact ICC today since I had a seperate question and they said it would be fine to connect direct to the pipe but I'm still considering using a connector. However, it looks like if I wedge the pipe on there good I may be able to reach screw holes on the Jotul.

Bob

Do you have a crimper? A slight crimp on the inner liner could help it insert another 1/2" or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.