Jotul F500 Ashpan Door Gasket Gaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pannoner3

Jan 15, 2022
Connecticut
Hey Everyone,

I have a Jotul F500 manufactured in 2000 (V1 I guess) that I bought used a few years back. I've burned in it the past 2 winters but haven't really been impressed with the performance - ie burns faster than expected, burns vigorously when the air inlet is closed completely as if there's another source of air(seemingly from below), lackluster heat output at operating temps. The stove is in my basement on an exterior wall installed in a typical masonry chimney. Chimney is roughly 26' tall. I had an f400 in the same spot 3 years ago and it performed beautifully, but I decided to upgrade to the f500 for more heat. My baseline reference is the 2010 F500 my brother has in a near identical set up.

I reached the point where I was going to perform a complete rebuild so I could re-cement the seams of the stove, but before doing that I wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I overlooked. Sure enough, when I put a flashlight in the ashpan housing and close the door, there are two pretty big gaps at the top corners of the ash pan door(see pics). The original owners manual calls for 1/4" LD gasket, which is what I used when I replaced it 2 years ago, and the door closes tight and passes that dollar bill test.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_9018.JPG IMG_9021.JPG

I don’t have the F500 but remember stories of leaky ash pans. Maybe just try a thicker gasket or plug those holes and let the ash pan fill with ash and shovel it out instead.

I would try running it with the ashpan full of ash and covering the grate. Our F400 definitely ran better that way.

I've run the stove the past 2 years and the ash pan is typically full. To be clear, the gaps in the pictures are where the ash door meets the ash housing, not where the ash housing meets the bottom plate. I was thinking of using some self adhesive flat gasket in the corners to fill the gaps?

It needs to be overflowing full and covering the firebox floor so that the ashpan leaks are become a moot point.

It needs to be overflowing full and covering the firebox floor so that the ashpan leaks are become a moot point.
Thanks for clarifying. Thats generally how my stove is during burning season, but I'll troubleshoot a bit more as temps get cooler here in New England. I guess I'm just surprised with such large gaps around the ashdoor considering these stoves are prone to cracking if air is allowed in thru the ashpan.

Appreciate the advice!

I had the same issue. I now have. 4” piece of flat rope gasket folded and hung over the corner if the door. Glueing didn’t do much. Read through all of this thread.

Reactions: begreen
I had the same issue. I now have. 4” piece of flat rope gasket folded and hung over the corner if the door. Glueing didn’t do much. Read through all of this thread.

Thanks. Just read through the thread. Very informative. Seems like this happens occasionally across multiple models. You had it happen with your f500?

Thanks. Just read through the thread. Very informative. Seems like this happens occasionally across multiple models. You had it happen with your f500?
F400. Same design though.

Ok, so there is a couple things that can cause this.

First, is when you put your gasket rope on the ash door (OEM 3/8LD Rope) make sure you do not stretch the gasket as you install it, and then around the corners, almost give it just a slight bunch up. Not a lot, just really dont cut the corners tight at all.

Next if its the housing, it could also be a couple things. The gasket on the housing itself may be bad, there is one that goes around the top of the housing, and then it curls around the top front and sticks there. Basically where the light is coming in on the too corners.

The other thing I have seen in the past is stoves ,that from the factory, had the ash housing installed like 1/8”-1/4” back from where they should be set, which causes the door to not get a tight fit.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P