Jotul F500 Enamel chipping problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanKwest

Jan 13, 2012
Hudson Valley NY
I have a Jotul F500 woodstove, that has developed a problem of the paint flaking off the surface. The top is the worst, but there are area's on both sides, as well as the front. The serial number on the stove is 25790, I am not sure how old it is. It came with the house, and we have been here for 5 years. I have contacted a local dealer who is supposedly going to forward the pics to his rep. The stove is Ivory in color, and I have attached some pics to review. Any suggestions for dealing with Jotul on this? I am anticipating that there will be finger pointing in all directions for who might be responsible. The stove has only been used during the winter months, and really is more decorative than being used a heat source. It has never been overfired that I am aware of, as the thermometer on the top has never exceeded 350 degrees. There are areas on the edges of the stove sides that appear that it has been struck with a hammer or something, but nothing has ever hit the stove. The paint chipping has become progressively worse with each passing year that we have had it. Ideas? Suggestions? IF the dealer & Jotul turns away from the problem, is there any type of paint that I could use? Thanks!

Attachments

• StoveInstall.jpg
    StoveInstall.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 644
  • stovetop.jpg
    stovetop.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 773
  • LeftSideDoor.jpg
    LeftSideDoor.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 413
  • RightSideStove.jpg
    RightSideStove.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 369
This is not paint, it's a porcelain enamel. I updated the title to reflect this. For some reason, the white finish seems to have more issues this this, than other finishes. But without knowing the history of the stove, it could be the treatment of the stove and not the finish. For example, the side chips could be from a tool banged carelessly against the stove and the top could have been from a steamer or pots that spilled over. Or maybe it is just a bad enameling? Hard to say.

The dealer may have some touch up enamel available in a small bottle that could address the side spots. The top looks to be more of an issue though. People have inquired about painting this enamel, but we have not heard back from them about how well their painting stood up over the years. To do the top correctly it would need to be removed (not a big deal on this stove) and shot-blasted down to the metal. Then cleaned with a solvent like alcohol, then carefully painted with a good high-temp paint like Stove Bright or Thurmolox (sp?) This should be done in a VERY well ventilated area with an appropriate spray painting mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.