Jotul F500 oslo on ebay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Just saw a Jotul F500 oslo on ebay. Bid is at $100 with two days left. The people had a chimney fire, and now think all woodstoves are EVIL.

Yep...I believe it's the same stove. They have lowered their starting bid down from the original $900. Still doesn't sound too appealing.

It'll be interesting to see what it finally sells for. I wouldn't be surprised if we gained a new Hearth member here on the forum shortly afterward. Keep us posted.

How much/significant damage do you think a chimney fire could cause to the stove?

brooktrout said:
How much/significant damage do you think a chimney fire could cause to the stove?

The chimney fire wouldn't hurt it but how they put it out darn sure could. Tossing water in or on a raging cast stove would be a disaster.

In their ad notice that sunlight is shining down the chimney. Must have been a goody of a fire. And either a monster chimney or the top of it is gone now.

Edit: The thing is only 90 miles of good road from me but 1.) Some nut will pay way too much for it and 2.) I am a steel stove guy.

They posted a couple more shots of the interior of the stove and cleaned it up a bit. It looks like they might have used a fire extinguisher? If so, this might not be that bad off. Wish I was closer to take a gander.

The seller's response to whether a fire extinguisher or water was used to put out the fire:

"Unfortunately, after the fire extinguisher was empty, I had to finish it off (the fire) with water. It was this, rather than the fire, which necessitates the repainting and such mentioned in the ad. However, I can see no evidence of cracking and there is no warping."

Looks like an enameled stove. Repainting ain't in the cards for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.