Jotul f500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Asapappa

Oct 16, 2016
Ohio
take a look at this existing set up.
Thoughts on getting a Jotul F500 to work on this room? I will put a precast concrete hearth in here, but I am wondering.how to handle the wood surround. I haven't purchased the stove (off Craigslist) and I need to line the chimney yet

With the wood that close to the opening, I don't think any stove would fit in there and have proper clearance. Even for an open fireplace it's too close.

Yeh, that's tough. I have a close clearance fireplace and was settled on the Jotul c450 kennebec insert with a top heat shield (before a job and soon to be house change). Check the Jotul manuals to verify clearances. I know there are some others with close clearance, but you wind up looking over a lot of web sites and manuals.

If you're set on a free standing stove rather than insert, I would imagine you'd have to bring the whole stove out into the room with that mantle. Not sure how far, but I expect it's in the manual for the f500.