Jotul F55 Operating Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
Central Wisconsin
I recently bought a Jotul F55 and wondering from other fellow owners of this stove. What do you usually run your stove temps at. Here in Wisconsin not terribly cold yet so just current at 300-350F is keeping house warm. But what do you run it at and feel comfortable. Mine got 600-650 yesterday for short time and wondering is this the top of the operating spectrum? Thanks

That's most likely a safe temp. I think 700 hundred is too hot in general.

I have one of these on my stovetop (upper-right corner)

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-701-Stove-Thermometer-Each/dp/B000627RGM

and one one these in my flue:

http://www.amazon.com/Condar-1191-5CN-3-39-FlueGard-Probe-Thermometer/dp/B001D1J7YA

I pay more attention to the latter than the former, since I can monitor it from across the room rather than walking over to the stove, but, I would say that most of the time I am in the comfortable burn area of the flue probe I will be between, say, 400-550 on the stovetop.

Really depends on how long the stove has been running, since as jacketed cast I am measuring the outside temperature of the cast iron jacket and the flue probe is telling me how much heat is going up the chimney.

I imagine, ideally, I want to maximum the stove's physical temperature so that it will continue to radiate heat as the fire dies down, while keeping my flue temperatures above creosote-forming levels yet not too hot and thus wasting fuel by having heat going up the chimney.

Others here have reported stovetop temps in excess of 600 degrees.

600-650F is normal cruising temp for our stove which is similarly constructed. It can hit 700F with a particularly dry load of wood or a reload of high heat wood like locust. During shoulder season we run it at around 400-500F stove top and let the fire burn out. I watch the flue temp (probe thermometer) during shoulder season burning to be sure it doesn't drop below about 300F. A 300-350F stove top may lead to creosote accumulation if the flue gases are cooler than 250F.

During mild weather we tend to pulse and glide with our stove. That is to burn a smaller hot fire and let it go out. When daytime temps drop to 45 or less then we can burn 24/7 at a low rate. Your results will vary depending on the house and prevailing weather.

I am typically at 500-600 for the majority of the burn. I actually hate this time of year because you have to start new fires all the time.

I recently bought a Jotul F55 and wondering from other fellow owners of this stove. What do you usually run your stove temps at. Here in Wisconsin not terribly cold yet so just current at 300-350F is keeping house warm. But what do you run it at and feel comfortable. Mine got 600-650 yesterday for short time and wondering is this the top of the operating spectrum? Thanks

Ours usually "peaks" about 750 and sets in to cruise around 600ish. I let it go below 300 before a reload when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.