1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. NYLife

NYLife Member

Loc:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    I can't wait to have my stove installed in about 3 weeks just in time for the cold spell. Anyone familiar with it and also any good tips on starting and keeping it nice n toasty

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Jotul is darn near the gold standard when it comes to stoves. They have been doing it for a long time. Congrats on your stove. As far as methods go - there probably won't be much specific to your stove, but use the search feature and be amazed.

Start with "top down fires", then move on to "super cedars" and then you can post your "thanks" to me later.;lol;)
    NYLife likes this.
  3. NYLife

NYLife Member

Loc:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    Thanks and I will keep you posted on my progress
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Read the manual. Then read it again. Then read it one more time.

Have fun with your break-in fires! I imagine you'll be ready to do it the day you get it installed.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a steel stove, most of the break in will be to bake the paint.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Good point. I hear Jotul, and my mind immediately goes to cast iron.
  7. NYLife

NYLife Member

Loc:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    This is a cast iron stove
  8. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Steel fire box, though. It is a steel stove with pretty clothes!
    NYLife likes this.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Don't know how similar our stove's are going to burn but my F50 LOVES to be loaded N-S for start-up and maximum heat. E-W usually produces a longer burn. If your F55 has an ash pan like my F50 then I recommend emptying it frequently (every other load until you get a feel for how long you can go) or just letting it fill and shoveling out the ashes.

Hearth.com members get a discount on Super Cedars, you'd do well to pick up a few for easy start-ups. If you contact them, they will send you a couple free samples in the mail. Quarter them and you should have no problem getting 8 fires going without a sweat. (If your firewood is well-seasoned)

How's your wood supply? No shame in admitting it if you are going to be battling semi-seasoned wood or worse, green wood this winter. Folks here will help you get through it as best as possible. If you've got wood that's been split for at least 9mos to a year, you're going to do great and if it's been split longer than that, you're 90% ahead of the game already.
    NYLife likes this.
  10. NYLife

NYLife Member

Loc:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    I can't wait to find out the nicks on how it burns so I can learn all the tricks of the trade. I appreciate your tips. Do you ever load the stove when your not home. I will try both methods n/s and e/w but I think I would go with the heat more then the long burn. My wood supply is not bad but next year I will be well ahead of the game. I have about 3 cords seasoned well. I have about 5 to 6 cords that I will split in a few weeks. I will order my super cedars this week. Thanks
  11. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    No... Jags is the one with the wood loading robot. :p
    firefighterjake, Jags and MasterMech like this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

When my wife and I were both working during the day, I'd load it up just before work and come home to a nice bed of coals ready for a reload. Have always had a stove running pretty much 24/7 in the winter, even when we aren't home, ever since I can remember.
    NYLife likes this.
  13. NYLife

NYLife Member

Loc:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    Ok thanks that sure sounds good to me