Jotul FC3B install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glennm

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2010
S Ontario
I had posted earlier that I will be installing this stove to replace an existing "old timer" woodstove soon. I was planning on having the stove pipe come out of the top but started thinking about possibly having it come out of the back of the stove. This may be possible with my hearth set up, I will have to put the new stove in place ans see how much room I have

Anyone notice a performance difference one way or the other? I have a straight shot up through the roof for my insulated chimney and have had great draft with the old stove.

if your draft is typically fine, you should see no difference in performance. My F3 is rear-vent. I have had no problems at all, but that chim was about 30' tall with fantastic draft. The pipe came straight out the back, horizontal for about 18", then elbow (tee snout) up. Never had a single issue, though i'm sure on a very short flue/chim it might make a difference. I chose rear-vent simply to allow me to bring stove out a little further and show it off :)

Should be ok with straight up. How tall is the chimney glennm?

I think about 8 or 10 ft from the ceiling. The old stove had a great draft. Double pipe from the ceiling down and basically straight up

That should work fine.

Here is the current stove that is being replaced

Attachments

• IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 176
If you can have it come out the back, go for it, as it will give you a little more room to use the top to hold a kettle or pot. A 6 inch double wall pipe coming out the top leaves very little room to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.