jotul firelight 12 over firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did one once in 2012. Don't remember it being anything super-difficult. You'll need to adjust that cam bolt in center of door, to account for new gasket, but that's regular maintenance anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did one once in 2012. Don't remember it being anything super-difficult. You'll need to adjust that cam bolt in center of door, to account for new gasket, but that's regular maintenance anyway.

Thank you,I will now become more familiar withe the workings I'm hopeful that there will be a difference in ithe all,my cat chamber is totally deteriorated, powder!

I have it all apart,what is your eta to mid coast maine?Lol,thanks for all your help,is it all the gasets 1/4 ,damper and all?I know the glass 3/16 and center of doors too,

Don't recall anything larger than 1/4" behind damper frame or fireback. In fact, I thought some of it was 3/16".

To install new gaskets, clean the metal and use masking tape to hold new gasket while you reassemble.

Don't recall anything larger than 1/4" behind damper frame or fireback. In fact, I thought some of it was 3/16".

To install new gaskets, clean the metal and use masking tape to hold new gasket while you reassemble.

Again,thank you for your time,are they all cemented,masking tape will burn and melt I imagine .The only thing still on is the smoke outlet,and I should do that too,will get the right Braded 1/4" material,and the 3/16" too are any of them dry gaskets?I will read it all again,hope all is well with you and that your wood is seasoned and covered,this is my first 100% wood ready year,and a stove ready to rock,almost!

The only gaskets that get cement are doors and top. Those behind fireback and damper frame are supposed to go on dry, which is why you use masking tape. Yes, it vaporizes on first use, that's the idea!

If you used cement, and were able to get things seated well enough to get inner sides in and out, then I'd just leave it as-is. No harm.

I cant remember if the collar gasket was dry or cemented. I think it must have been cemented, just can't remember now!

Oh, my wood was all split 2013 - 2014, and covered the last year, so it's dry!

Oh, my wood was all split 2013 - 2014, and covered the last year, so it's dry!

good evening ,do you have fotos of the cat chamber install,seems like i have an extra piece the chamber and front inspection cover,thanks

and a long rectangular piece

New to the forum here but I see quite a few threads on the Firelight 12, including this one which looks fairly recent. Some posts refer to design flaws, some refer to it being a great stove. I have a firelight 12 that is need of several repairs...I notice parts are very expensive so I'm at the 'fix or replace?' juncture.. Is there an overall recommendation of "not worth it" or "its a great stove-keep it an fix it"

I'm not a woodstove expert-but have two and am proficient enough to do the basic repairs myself. Thanks-

Despite it being a beautiful stove of wonderfully stout construction and flawlessly finished, it has a fatal flaw. The catalytic combustor is half of he size of any modern stove of similar size, and runs at temperatures that cause a high likelihood of self-destruction any time you load the stove to full capacity with hardwoods.

So, if you don't mind running partial loads for ambience fires, this could be the stove for you. But if you want to actually use it for daily heating, I'd move on.