Jotul Firelight 12 Purchase Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonk

Oct 5, 2013
Hi-
I've been burning wood for many years in an older Lange stove and am looking to move on to a more modern stove, hopefully with a larger capacity. I'm looking at a Jotul Firelight 12. It's a 1995 model and the person who's selling it doesn't know much about the condition it's in. Before I make the trek to look at it, I wanted to get some opinions as I have no experience with catalytic burners or modern stoves in general. Anyone have strong feelings about this model? I've always had an aversion to catalytic stoves because I hear they're very finnicky... I have three or so cords of bone dry wood for this winter, but after that I'll be on to wood that was split this spring. Is that going to be a big problem for me? Also - I've attached the pictures of the stove that I have. It looks like something was removed from the side of the stove. Anyone know what is supposed to go there? The stove has a broken front leg that I can replace for less than 100$. With that in mind, and presuming that there's no hidden problems, what's a stove like this worth?
Jotul front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the stove is missing rear burn plate, cat cover, the cat and the side burn plate and most likely the cat chamber is toasted if it has been run like this. it will take alot of work and money to get it working again. but could be a good stove.

Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Not looking for a huge project - I'm willing to put work into a stove, but not get into an unknown fiasco...

The firelight 12 I restored originally looked like it just needed a pane of glass and a cat cover. $1000 later it was running well, but parts added up fast. Loved the stove, but go into it with eyes open.

Reactions: raybonz
To rebuild that stove to its former glory, will cost a bit. A new innerback plate, rear burn plate, a cat, the cat housing and associated pieces will add up. Don't know if the side burn plates were ok, and the andirons aren't there either. All said about $800-1000 is a good estimate. Then of course, you will have a top-notch firelight. The sideview looks like maybe a side shelf mount?? Not sure. I do know those were one cat stove that did its work quite well and there are a lot out there still doing their job. The stove was produced from 1993-1999 and was rated at 55,000 btus, (prob a bit conservative). If one has the time and money and the rest of the body is not compromised, well worth rebuilding. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.