Jotul firelight 12,replacing the air control lever,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had to do it a few times. If this is one of the older cat models with the top load..I'm going back 10-12 years, so bear with me. I think there was a cover plate inside the stove on the bottom, right near where you would imagine the air control would pass thru. Remove that, remove the old handle. There is a cast iron slide plate which the handle activates. The rod simply sits between two tabs on this plate. Position the new rod in place. Make sure you have it oriented correctly. Hold it in place with a finger, slide it back and forth, make sure the action feels correct. I think I had to pray that it stayed put while I bolted that cover plate back on.

Was fairly simple if I recall.

I had to do it a few times. If this is one of the older cat models with the top load..I'm going back 10-12 years, so bear with me. I think there was a cover plate inside the stove on the bottom, right near where you would imagine the air control would pass thru. Remove that, remove the old handle. There is a cast iron slide plate which the handle activates. The rod simply sits between two tabs on this plate. Position the new rod in place. Make sure you have it oriented correctly. Hold it in place with a finger, slide it back and forth, make sure the action feels correct. I think I had to pray that it stayed put while I bolted that cover plate back on.

Was fairly simple if I recall.
Thank you for the reply the bottom plate/air manifold goes all the way across the inside front,and angles under the two side air manifolds ,which seem to have bolts that seem to line up with doors..there lies the problem..the process to remove them,iif needed ..

See, from what I recall, the plate you removed was only about 6" wide. Almost like it was put there simply to access that slide damper area. Maybe post a photo of the inside bottom front of your firelight? You may have a newer model than I had worked on.

See, from what I recall, the plate you removed was only about 6" wide. Almost like it was put there simply to access that slide damper area. Maybe post a photo of the inside bottom front of your firelight? You may have a newer model than I had worked on.
Yes the plate goes side to side..would make good sense for an inspection plate!thank you..we have the parts diagram,and just not sure of process

I'm having trouble with this issue too. There's seemingly no access on the older models to be able to inspect the interior plate that should slide side to side to increase or decrease the amount of air. My lever is inoperable right now. Just got the stove installed and we are new to all of this. Bought our beautiful Jotul 12 on Craigslist so we knew it could have some bugs to work out. Up for the challenge but I can't figure out how to get access to that darned plate! Newer models have the access panel that simply removes but not this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a house with this stove, and its lever is all but stuck. I wiped away the ash and found two screws holding the plate covering the air flow lever:

kAXyX0

IMG-20181115-065402.jpg

they are stuck in there pretty good, and I'm sure pretty easily stripped -- I'm a little hesitant to use penetrating oil to try to loosen them, but I'm not sure I have any choice. Suggestions?