Jotul Firelight 600 Total Re-Gasket and Bottom Plate Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldVet66

Oct 14, 2011
Bluemont, Va.
The bottom plate on my Firelight 600 is cracked, and as a result of limping through last winter with temporary patches I need to re-gasket the stove as well as replace the bottom plate. This is essentially a total tear down and rebuild. As you know the stove is quite heavy. I have been told that the stove needs to be turned over on it's top to do this. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Welcome oldvet. I'm very sorry to hear about the crack. Usually this is caused by an ashpan gasket failure or the ash pan door being used to start the fire.

Send a PM to Summit if he doesn't pick up on this thread. The stove should not be too complicated to take apart. Study the exploded view parts diagram. I am not sure that it has to be turned upside down to do this work. I would think that an upright, top down dis-assembly would work. But ask Summit for direct experience with this rebuild. Or you could call PrestonTradingPost in CT?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54469/

The wife now understands that you don't leave the ash pan door opened. It took a long time to get the ceramic blue bottom to match the discontinued blue color. This is a fairly new stove, not the cat type with the opening top, but the rebuild should be almost the same. I had one of the old models that I gave my daughter.

That is sad and a hard way to learn. Once you get into the project it will go quickly. Don't worry if you snap off a bolt head or two. They can be drilled and retapped.

Do send a PM to Summit. He may have recommendations or steps that make it easier. Take pictures along the way and post them here. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.