Jotul Firelight Cat - shold I buy for small house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casbeck

Aug 7, 2007
WA state
Newbie Question: We're looking for a well-made very efficient stove with glass windows to heat a 1927 farmhouse we are remodeling. It's only 1200 sq. ft. with a second story, but we plan an addition someday.

There's a Jotul Firelight in the local Craigslist for $950. Owner claims it cost $4,500 4 years ago, but posts here say the catalytic top-loader models were phased out in 90s. Is it worth it?

Is it too big for our small house? What's the downside -- needs too much wood to be efficient? Too hot?

One post noted that the footpedal wasn't so great -- comments?

thanks in advance - this list is great!

Christine in Washington

Attachments

• fire place.jpg
    fire place.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 564
$4500 4 years ago? NFW! It may be worth $500 if it's in good shape.

Welcome Christine, are you in Wash. state? If yes, which side of the mountains? The stove would likely be too big if you are on the west side of the Cascades. How do you intend to run the stove, all the time as your primary source of heat, or on evenings and weekends?

Note, if the owner paid $4500 four years ago, but the stove was phased out in the 90's, something is amok with the math.

Yep. In the 90's the cat Firelight was under two grand brand new.

Not worth it most likely it will need 200- 500 dollars worth of parts. good stove is not worth 950 unless it was just rebuilt and from the price the guys is claiming he paid i would not think he is all that truthfull.

HI Guys,

Maybe that guy pais that much for installation, SS liner, and hearth pad, etc, etc. Heck, the whole hearth it is sitting in might have been included for that price!!

Anyway, that price seems OK (little less than half of new price) for a 4 year old stove. The concern here is that the story does not check out. The timeframe and dollars are both suspect so therefore I would not trust this guy a great deal. Not enough to buy a stove from him anyway!!!

Carpniels

Also, for that size house the stove is too large. I would suggest a Jotul Castine. It will heat that size house with the poor insulation, etc.

Carpniels

THanks, BeGreen.

We are near Hood Canal Bridge. We want to use the stove for primary heat, mainly non-occupied during the day. The stove has been used for primary heat on Baiinbridge, but perhapa a bigger house.

Too big for us, though?

Yes, there is a problem with the seller's math :->

Another Washingtonian here. Heck, I grew up in Silverdale and have ridden my bike to the HC bridge several times back when they let you walk under it. Anyway, the stove pictured looks like a 500$ stove. Its chalky paint and can of creosote remover tell a tale of lots of use.

Thanks to all -we're passng on this one. i was excited to see a used Jotul because they are pricey.

I'll post a wish list of models we've researched so far, in case you guys have opinions on the most suitable for our house/needs :->

christine

If you have a decent flue, I'm guessing the Jotul Castine would work well for you or the Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic (or Alderlea T5 is you want it in cast iron).

Status
Not open for further replies.