Q&A Jotul Firelight - Catalytic Model discontinued?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been told that the catalytic firelight might be discontinued. True? I just bought one to replace a dutchwest. Haven't had much experience with it yet, but it is great so far. Will finding parts in the future be difficult if the cats are discontinued? Also, if you would, I have a question regarding stove pipe temp. What is a good range for a cat flue pipe? It would be cooler than a non-cat, but thermometers dont have different markings. Thank-you for your time and knowledge.

Answer:

They have discontinued the cat model, but it's no big deal. Jotul is a large manufacturer and you should be able to get parts for a long time.

The cat unit has some advantages over the new non-cat, such as larger firebox, top load and longer burn.

A good range for the flue pipe temperature is probably 250-500 degree assuming that the thermometer is a surface mount unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.