Jotul Firelight gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Lid gasket type and diameter? This would be same for Firelight 12 and Firelight 600, I think. I had this one in my head as 1/4" braided, but now looking at this stove apart, I'm wondering if something larger might be spec'd.

Inner back plate gasket? This would be unique to the Firelight 12, and I know my older (1993) stove had one, but this stove I'm disassembling now has none. Thinking about how the stove works, I'm not sure it needs one... or then again, maybe that's why I experienced a cat failure the other night! To any of those who've had their F12's apart, did you find a gasket dry fit behind the inner back plate? I'm talking about the part that looks like this:

jotul_inner_back_plate_103330.jpg

For the record:
About 7' of 3/16" braided behind inner fireback and damper frame, plus 2' of 1/4" braided between inner fireback and damper frame. Might try 3/16" in place of the 1/4" next time, as fitting in side shields was a little tight.

Yep. I'm putting this info here for two reasons:

1. Hopefully it will help the next guy who has to do this.
2. I'll probably be the next guy who has to use this.

Are you positive they're the original factory gaskets? Jotul spec's standard braided (not woven) rope gasket on all the literature I have seen. Generally, 1/4" for doors, and 3/16" for air slider access and glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.