JOTUL GF 300 DV Lights Sporadically

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rednekluser

Nov 23, 2015
Colorado
I bought an old house on my VA loan. It came with a used gas heater (JOTUL GF 300 DV). It has no blower or thermostat. This heater is non-electric. No AC or DC power needed to run it.
The On/Off switch often will not turn it On but does turn it Off. When it does decide to turn it on it may be delayed for some time.
The remote does not turn it on/off at all any longer. I checked batteries and voltage and all that. I can hear it beep when I use the transmitter. Turning it on and off at the controller does nothing.
The pilot light works fine.
The documentation I found online is not helpful.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you replace ALL the batteries? If you have a Skytech 3301 remote, there are two sets. 4 AA in the receiver & 2 AAA in the remote.
Also, when you say the on/off switch, are you talking about the rocker on the upper rear of the unit? (caveat: some have rocker switches behind a swing out door below the firebox)
You can test this switch by pulling it out, removing the wiring from it & jumping the wires together. If the stove lights, the switch is bad. If it STILL doesn't light, the wires from the switch to the terminal block on the valve are suspect & may need to be replaced.
You can test them by jumping the TH & TH-TP (TP-TH) screwheads at the terninal block with a paperclip bent into a U-shape.
Lastly, I would take a reading on the thermopile with a multimeter set to milliVolts DC. Touch the probes to the TP & TP-TH (or TH-TP) terminals on the block. With the pilot burning, it should read above 450mV (I like to set the pilot at 550mV if I can get it there). When the switch is closed, there should be an audible click & the voltage should drop to about 220mV.
Perform some testing & let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.