Jotul Kennebec or Rockland - with trimmable steel surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJo01

Nov 7, 2012
We live in an older home which has a fireplace that was originally wood-burning but had a pellet insert installed, since removed when we had geothermal heat installed. We love wood fires and are considering purchasing a Jotul Kennebec or Rockland wood insert, partly because the fireplace is beautiful stone with an arched opening and we were told we could have the unit recessed into the fireplace opening, keeping the existing stone arch. This requires installing trimmable steel surround, instead of the standard surround. I can't find any information on trimmable surround.
1. Does anyone know if there are any issues with having trimmable surround installed, and/or with final result?
2. One guy who is familiar with Jotul but not trimmable surround included 1 hour labour with his quote but said any additional would be on time & materials basis - is this reasonable?
Thanks for any help..

We live in an older home which has a fireplace that was originally wood-burning but had a pellet insert installed, since removed when we had geothermal heat installed. We love wood fires and are considering purchasing a Jotul Kennebec or Rockland wood insert, partly because the fireplace is beautiful stone with an arched opening and we were told we could have the unit recessed into the fireplace opening, keeping the existing stone arch. This requires installing trimmable steel surround, instead of the standard surround. I can't find any information on trimmable surround.
1. Does anyone know if there are any issues with having trimmable surround installed, and/or with final result?
2. One guy who is familiar with Jotul but not trimmable surround included 1 hour labour with his quote but said any additional would be on time & materials basis - is this reasonable?
Thanks for any help..
See my Jotul install in my signature. I like the surround very much.

See my Jotul install in my signature. I like the surround very much.

You don't have the "Trmmable" surround on your insert. Yours is cast iron. The trimmable surround is sheet metal, IIRC...While I've not used the Jotul version, I have modified Regency's surround in order to shape it to an arched fire place configuration. An hour to do it may be cutting it close. I made a template out of cardboard, cut it out & laid out the pattern on the sheet metal. I cut it to the Larger side of the layout lines with a jigsaw, then I filed & ground it until it fit nicely. A little metallic black touch-up paint & the customer was quite happy...

We just had the Travis Large Flush Wood Insert installed a few weeks ago. Apparently the Jotul can't be customized to the opening. But the one we got will be. We are now waiting for the custom piece that will go flush with our opening. It's a nice unit, in that it can take a 24" log, real nice size! I would get the biggest box you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.