Jotul Kennebec - What is Reasonable Cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem67

Nov 6, 2007
Southern Ohio
I believe we're about to decide on the Jotul Kennebec wood-burning insert. I was going to do the installation myself... but quite frankly, I don't think I would want to go up on that steep roof anymore!! Getting lazy in my old age!!

I believe our installation will be "uncomplicated". The fireplace damper is gone, and it is a straight shot up the chimney. Lay down, looking up in the existing fireplace, and you see blue sky... no bends at all. I'm guessing the chimney height to be about 25 feet.

A local heating company rep came by last night and gave a very rough "quote" of between $2500 and $3500 (including full-length six inch double stainless liner, cap, insulated, etc.). The reason for the wide variance, is that he was also talking about Pacific Energy, and Hearthstone products as well as Jotul. I was just wondering what a reasonable cost would be for the Jotul including installation in our neck of the woods (southern Ohio). Any opinions welcome! We liked the rep very much and I believe the company is reputable... I just don't have anything to compare his quote to.

Thanks!!

i had my chimney lined and insulated, and my stove installed, for 1,300 bucks. my chimney is 15ft, and the best part about the intall is they picked up the stove and put it in. my jotul oslo is pushing 500 lbs, so i feel i got a good deal. your quote seems high. get a couple of estimates.

That sounds like a deal!!! That price was all-inclusive of parts and labor for the new unit? The only other price comparison I've found so far is $2700 for the Kennebec, but back in 2005.

Sem was the quote you got for the stove and installation complete or just installation. I think there is an apples and oranges comparison going on here.

1300 for install, 2000 for the oslo. dont tell my wife...

Thank you all for the quick responses! Brother Bart... that's "complete". It appears that the $3500 for the insert, liner, and labor is about what to expect judging from what I'm reading here. I did find a dealer not too far away who quoted $2300 for a matte finish Kennebec and $2600 for the enameled (stove only) version. So... adding up liner, labor, and assorted odds and ends, the $3500 the local guy quoted might not be too bad. The responses so far are giving me a "level of comfort". Thanks!

Sem67 said:
I believe we're about to decide on the Jotul Kennebec wood-burning insert. I was going to do the installation myself... but quite frankly, I don't think I would want to go up on that steep roof anymore!! Getting lazy in my old age!!

I believe our installation will be "uncomplicated". The fireplace damper is gone, and it is a straight shot up the chimney. Lay down, looking up in the existing fireplace, and you see blue sky... no bends at all. I'm guessing the chimney height to be about 25 feet.

A local heating company rep came by last night and gave a very rough "quote" of between $2500 and $3500 (including full-length six inch double stainless liner, cap, insulated, etc.). The reason for the wide variance, is that he was also talking about Pacific Energy, and Hearthstone products as well as Jotul. I was just wondering what a reasonable cost would be for the Jotul including installation in our neck of the woods (southern Ohio). Any opinions welcome! We liked the rep very much and I believe the company is reputable... I just don't have anything to compare his quote to.

Thanks!!

I live near Dayton, OH and bought my C450 Kennebec in March 2007 and paid about $2000 for the stove (fan included). Then I bought a $650 kit containing a 20 ft long 6" 316Ti ss liner, a stove connector, a top of the line chimney cap that swings 90 degrees to clean the liner and a 1/2" thick insulation kit (make sure you get the FULL 1/2" thick insulation...not the 1/4" stuff) complete with wire mesh and adhesive for the insulation and I installed it all myself. So, I had about $2650 in it for a self-install. If someone else is installing it, add about $500 more and you have $3,150 which is in the ballpark of what you were quoted......

PS where abouts in Southern Ohio do you live?

Hi,

I am located in Ny. Typical prices for installs not including insualtion runs between $1300-1500. The Jotul c350 was quoted various places at $2100 the C4 Kennbec is around
$2400. the dealers were within a few dollars on the prices. I am getting the Xtrodanir xp 33 elite $3k + another $1200 including insulation for the install from dealer. Unless I do the install my self. Im on the fence.

Material is around $700, labor $500. With the stove weighin 500lbs , it might be money well spent.

There not cheap, but with current oil prices around here at $3.10+ if you can burn 24/7 the payback will be less then 2 years.

Enjoy!

i would think $1900-2400 is a reasonable range for the kennebec itself and $500-1000 for the liner.

to generalize and give a range that wide for multiple stoves and not breaking down what the stove and liner cost individually is kind of like going into a car dealer and saying i want to spend 'this much' per month without talking about sale price or # of years. you really got to break it down specifically to know whats going on.

Keyman and I installed a lopi Freedom bay used stove 7years old, real good condition, remove an existing stove full Magna flex liner Total cost of the Job including stove liner and all materials $1500. Burn fantastic people love it. Each of us made a decent day's pay

Mike Wilson said:
soxfan13 said:
In Mass. I was quoted $4000 for kennebec insert and installation

Seeing as the stove should only cost around $2500 and you were quoted $4000, I imagine that you have a 70 foot tall chimney that needs to be lined?

-- Mike

Chimney is about 30 ft. I was quoted 1700 for the install. They must be using gold :) and you thought L I was expensive. Needless to say I am getting a few other quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.