jotul kennebec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeiss

Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
CBUS OHIO
A few questions. I have a 20' + chimney lined and sealed off at the top.

1. Will a block off plate greatly improve my inserts performance? My chimney flu was knocked out to allow the liner to pass thru, and I am wondering how much heat is being wasted in the chimney. At least I think I don't have a block off plate? It probabley takes 30 min. of hot fire to get the blower to come on when stove is cold.

2. How often do you kennebec owners clean the primary air inlet, it seems like I'm not getting as much air as I used to when I first fire up. Those hole have to fill up with ash.

Thanks in advance

Mike

You should also have a block off plate down below where the fireplace damper used to be. Mine was only sealed at the top of the chimney and the heat output from the insert was disappointing. I installed a block off plate where the fireplace damper used to be and my heat output greatly improved! Sometimes it takes a bit for my blower to come on too. Not 30 minutes though. Do you have a thermometer on top of the insert between the doors?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8690/

Run that baby up to 650 and see how much heat is coming out.

I've never had to clean the air inlet holes out. I removed to dog house cap last spring to have a look down in there, after several years of burning and there was no ash down in there. There were times early on when I was still learning that my draft wasn't that good and it was due to my wood not being seasoned/dry. If your new to burning you'll soon find out how important it is to have dry wood. Split and stacked out in the open for a year or two before even attempting to burn.

When you first fire up your probably burning smaller dry kindling, then once it is going you put some bigger stuff in there that isn't dry enough, it cools the firebox and your draft in reduced. If you open the door and hear hissing or sizzling or see bubbles on the end of your wood it isn't dry enough.

Thanks scrounger, Heat output is pretty good. Wood moisture good but not great, been burning/cutting/splitting wood since I could walk. Your response is kinda what I was looking for. I wonder if anyone ever measured the difference w/w/out block off plate? Something like "took 15 min less for blower to come on" or "room @ 78 degrees in 15 min. vs 30 min" My pop has a sheet metal shop at work so getting one won't be a prob. Problem is removing surround and measuring. Especially since the stove is burning alot now that it is cold. It looks like I could make a 2 piece plate that would go in without much hassle, and maybe not have to pull the stove out. I may wait till spring unless someone tells me it will make a huge difference.

1) Mine is a 2 piece assembly, easy install. I really dont think a block off plate will reduce the time it takes for your fan to start. The snap switch that starts the fan can be seen if you remove the ash lip (thats what I call it anyway). Its the cast plate just under your air intake control. The switch will be on the same side as your fan control switch. I "tweaked" the bracket that the snap switch mounts to in order to make the switch contact the bottom of the stove. Originally there was a gap between the switch and stove. Eliminated the gap and now have a fan that kicks on when it should. Take a look at yours, may just need an adjustment.

2)Don't worry too much about cleaning the primary intake. If ash goes into the holes it will fall down into a cavity that can be seen if you pull the fan assembly out. I would not advise removing the doghouse. I did last year out of curiosity and broke a bolt off, remember, they've been thru many, many heat cycles and do become brittle. If you're curious just pull the fan assembly, grab a flashlight, and have a look under the burn chamber. I had a little creosote in the bottom of mine from when I swept the chimney, you may have the same. This may be causing the reduced air intake volume you mentioned. I just bent a piece of wire in the shape of an "L" and pulled the loose creosote out to where I could get it with the shopvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.